Need Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by creationtwenty2, Jun 11, 2012.

  1. creationtwenty2 macrumors member

    Dec 4, 2009
    Hey guys.

    I'm heading to the Apple Store tomorrow to pick up a new Mac or 2. I just sold my old 15" MBP and am currently computerless. I rely on my Mac for work so I gotta pick up something tomorrow at least.

    My plan was to go iMac+13" MBA, but now with no iMac update, I'm kinda edgy about pulling the trigger on an iMac tomorrow.

    Thing is, the MBA isn't going to cut it for my work on it's own if I was to hold out for a refresh (could be soon, could be November). I could get a 15" MBP, but then I was keen to go desktop/laptop rather than just a laptop which is the setup I've been running for the last couple years.

    I'm really not sure what to do here! Any thoughts?
  2. Andy348 macrumors 6502

    May 18, 2009
    Why don't you like relying on a laptop alone? Not sure what type of work you do but I'm assuming a top of the line MBP would be fast enough for you, and then you could just connect to an external display.

    That's what I'm doing and it's worked out great.
  3. creationtwenty2 thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 4, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

    I work in graphics, mainly web/print but some 3D too.

    The thing is, I don't really do much work 'on the go', so I don't necessarily need mobile power. I do need something I can use to fire up at client meetings or whatever but I rarely need full workhorse power outside of my office.

    I have a love hate relationship with working from a single laptop. I like how you just pick up and go and always have everything with you, but I really dislike plugging/unplugging everything and having cables everywhere. I produce/compose music as a hobby so I have a FireWire cable, audio cables, and a couple of USB hubs to plug in as well as the MagSafe and external display and doing that each morning/evening is something I can live without (minor thing I know but still annoying).

    I'm very tempted to go with another 15 since its received quite a spec bump since my last one, but the iMac isn't exactly a slouch and as I said, I still would love the iMac/Air combo.
  4. fryup macrumors newbie

    Jun 12, 2012
    You're in the same boat as me, I was disappointed about the lack of iMac update. I'm now looking at buying a new MBP (possibly a retina version) and a thunderbolt display. You don't need to worry about all the cables as they can stay connected to the display (it has firewire,usb, ethernet etc). All you would need to do is disconnect the thunderbolt cable and the magsafe. And you don't have to worry about coming up the power cable as the display comes with a magsafe cable attached for the MBP or Air.

    Hope this helps.
  5. creationtwenty2 thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 4, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

    I went shopping :). Bought an iMac and 13" MBA.

    To be honest, if the iMac gets updated, it gets updated. As of today, the both the iMac and MBA are perfect for what I need them for. Sure it would be nice to get an IvyBridge bump but I'm not gonna wait months for it. If it happens in the next 30 days, I'm covered anyway.

    As for the new MBP, I just don't like the idea of buying into a retina display that relies on 3rd part support. I know that 90% of the apps I use will likely not get native res support for ages or even at all (I'm still on CS5.5 which definitely won't see an update). It looks pretty bad on the new iPad when apps aren't native so I can't imagine it's pretty on a 15" screen.

    It's a nice machine for sure but just not for me. I'm happy with my purchases!

Share This Page