Need buying advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bounou, Oct 29, 2016.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Having trouble making up my mind on what to buy and could use some advice and feedback.

I need a new laptop, my needs are pretty tame, any dual core, Iris and 8GB of ram with 256GB of storage on a laptop is more than enough.

My wants are considerably higher end, I want great fit and finish and am looking for higher end devices and have the budget for them.

I also would like to get back into PC gaming, nothing too crazy but I NEED to play Civ 6 soon and would not mind trying the new WoW expansion.

Before the event I considered both the razer blade, razer blade pro, the surface book and a dedicated gaming PC but decided to wait to see what Apple would announce.

I already decided I don't want 2 laptops, so a windows gaming laptop and a MacBook are not in the cards.

Outside of the price I really like the new MacBook Pro’s and at this point am going to get either an upgraded 15 or a base 13 with touch bar.

I really look at it as one of two basic options:

Either I keep the order for the 15” model, for my limited gaming needs the 460 might be good enough I know, macs are not gaming machines) but if not I will possibly if they actually work well with the new MBP in boot camp get a eGPU with a GTX 1080 or 1070 and if they don't work well and the 460 does cut it I'll probably build a very nice gaming PC.

Option 2 is to get the base 13 and to build a very nice gaming PC.

All things considered I think I prefer the first option especially if the eGPU is possible, it's a bit more expensive than the 13” + PC but I would rather have the 15” power all the time even if I don't need it, plus although gaming on the go is not a must for me if the 460 actually is good enough I certainly like the idea of being able to take my games with me.

The problem is that it could end up costing me 1000-1500$ more and I'm not dying to spend the extra cash, the sticker shock from Thursday is real.

Would really like to not regret this decision in 6 months, it's a lot of money and I don't want to end up being pissed about the decision.

Anyone have an opinion?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

It's pretty simple. The whole Internet will say that if you want a high end gaming system for Windows games, to not buy a Mac.

That said, you know already you can dual boot, and you know already the new mac book pro is out.

The final question simply remains, if you are happy with only 8gb and base model , then .. what is your budget.

If you can spend 3000 on a gaming laptop, and the new high end base model is 3200$, maybe consider that one.

If it's not, and you need to spend less, then the choice is the other 15" one.

Not sure what you want to hear here, it seems you already know your specs, and I just wonder if they are enough for Windows gaming. I also don't even know under bootcamp if the external gpu is working or not. I have 0 experience with that stuff. Wish I knew!

Wouldn't a 500$ dell machine, then put in a good ssd, 32gb ram for another 200, and then a quality desktop graphics card .. make it a $1250 gaming box that you are happy with? And then use the remaining part of the money to buy a comfortable every day use ssd/8gb 13" macbook pro ?

3. bounou thread starter macrumors 6502

bounou

I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone basically, the eGPU solution would be perfect if I knew it would work 100% not to mention I also get the benefit of having a much more powerful mac for everything not related to gaming.

My budget is not a huge problem, I can definitely afford the mac and the eGPU and video card but an entire gaming PC would cost at least 1000$ more that I was hoping not having to spend. The 13 base and the PC would be easily doable also.

Right now I am leaning in the direction of keeping the order for the 15" model and trying it out, I have 14 days to return it so it's not the worst idea ever. Maybe someone does a review of the MBP while using a razer core!

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I've certainly have grown an interest in this. If I invest that much, I wouldn't mind investing a bit more to get eGPU so I can pimp up my gaming a bit, haha. I wonder how comfortable it works on the mac side of things, and if I can use this with adobe premiere etc, to get a better card for it to use to remove any stuttering and rendering stuff, etc.

So many articles and reviews and wiki pages to read now, to learn about this stuff too. Aarrgh! :D

5. bounou thread starter macrumors 6502

bounou

I'm sorry Man, did not want to ruin your weekend just wanted some advice =p

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

'tis all good

7. Softwarez macrumors member

If you intend to play a lot of AAA games, the macbook pro, and Apple in general just isn't the way to go.

The 460 in the 15inch pro is nowhere near good enough if you intend to play the latest games at native resolution. As for an eGPU, I don't have much experience with them in bootcamp (I doubt it'll work smoothly), but in MacOS, only AMD cards are supported.

If you want a single machine, you're better off going with the Razer Blade, as that's the closest Windows gaming laptop in terms of industrial design, and quality (and price $$$).

If you can accept playing games at lower resolution, and maybe lower settings, a macbook pro is fine.

Although the best of both of course, would be to just get both! Gaming desktop PC, and a macbook pro 13 inch would be awesome.