Need Buying Help for Macbook Pro (First-time Buyer)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMike82, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MacMike82 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and going to be buying a macbook pro soon. I've been reading the buyers guide, but would like some feedback from other users on what I should buy.

I'm primarily going to be using the macbook pro for web surfing, outlook 2011 (when it comes out), word processing, powerpoint, some excel, xcode projects for iphone apps, photoshop applications, etc.... no video editing (yet at least). Also, I'm planning to use Windows 7 as well (need it for work), and need to understand if Boot Camp or Parallels is the best way to go.

I'm looking at the macbook pro 13" or 15" and not sure which processor I should go for. Trying not to spend TOO much, but willing to pay for performance if I need it to run the apps I'm using most. I was going to stick with 4GB RAM and upgrade on my own to 8GB if needed.

I was going to buy the Intel MX-25 160GB SSD drive and install that, but need to know if 160GB is enough to accomplish what I mentioned above. I have a NAS so music, video, and other large files are stored on there.

Would love to hear for you guys (and girls) think. Your feedback is valuable and will help me make the first mac purchase of my life (I'm excited).

Thanks again!
    - Mike

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Boot Camp.

Get the 15". 13" is not big enough for doing Photoshop.

4GB will probably do you fine for a while. 8GB upgrade on your own later.

The i5 2.4GHZ processor should be just fine for what you are doing too.

160GB is enough space for the Applications you are installing. The OS only takes up about 5-6GB (depending on options you select). You should look in to OWC SSD drives though. Nothing wrong with the Intel really... but the OWC drives seem to get a lot of positive reviews.

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Hello and welcome to joining the family in the future =P

Both the 13" and the 15" will do what you need, your decision just comes down the screen size. Yes the 15" with the i5 processor will hands down out perform the c2d, but the c2d is a very good chip for the price. The 13" is immaculate and is extremely portable where the 15" is just encroaching on a little big but i do love my 15" =D I think for the best bang for your buck and trying to multi task, or run every program you stated at once the base 15" would do that pretty well and would be my recommendation for you, it has a better graphics card setup being the 13" does not have its own dedicated memory. I purchased my 2010 mbp with the intend on having it for a few years so i went all out and purchased the 2.66 ghz i7 and i must say this computer is absurdly fast! I noticed your SSD choice and i am not totally convince, if you have 2 operating systems and some fairly large apps like photo shop and other you will find it very limiting in space. I recommend the stock hard drive to start, they will work greta but for more performance either buy the seagate momentous XT for like 1/16 the price of a SSD or wait for the next generation of solid states to come out and watch the prices plummet.

4. MacMike82 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ Marty - Thanks! I think I will spend the extra and go with the 15" just to get the better processor. I'm targeting the 2.4Ghz i5 with 4GB Ram.

@ TopHat - Will I noticed a big difference between the stock 300GB drive vs the Seagate Momentous XT drive? I like the hybrid SSD idea and the price tag.

I'm in agreement that if I wait a little the SSD's will come down in price by a lot. The 300GB Seagate Momentous XT is about $110 on Newegg vs $400 for the 160GB Intel or $600 for an OWC SSD drive.

5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Very simple

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

it will compare

SSD
    Momentous XT
    7200 rpm HDD
    10 000 HDD

the momentous XT basically works like the top sties ons safari, it tracks what you do and it basically takes the 4 GB of ssd and pre loads those programs for you. So not everything will be super fats but if you re boot a lot or you run the same games/apps then yes the speed will be more substantial then a regular drive

but for a 512 GB SSD in canada its about $1200 and for a 500 GB momentous XT it lists out for around $160, i will be buying on and installing it in my 2010 MBP in a few weeks, its my temporary solution for a long term speed issue. I will not buy a HD smaller then 500 GB i want my libraries on me while i do my thing, and i will not spend over $200 on a hard drive of that capacity for its kind of meeting me in the middle, watch the video and you will be able to make your own decision if its right for you.