Need Cable for Dell UltraSharp U3415W

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by oldhifi, Mar 12, 2015.

1. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Which cable do I need to use with new Mac Mini? Here is the connections on the monitor:

1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x MHL, 1 x Mini- DisplayPort, 1 x DisplayPort , 1 x
    DP out (MST), 1 x Audio-line out, 2 x USB 3.0 upstream, 4 x USB
    3.0 downstream ports

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I believe in order to get full resolution you will need a display port cable, either mini-dp to dp or mini-dp to mini-dp.

AND you are in luck...
    What's in the box
    Monitor with stand
    Cable cover
    Power cable
    DP cable (Mini-DP to DP)
    HDMI cable
    USB 3.0 upstream cable (enables the USB port on the monitor)
    Drivers and documentation media
    Factory Calibration report
    Quick setup guide
    Safety Information

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The Mini-Display Port to Display Port cable is the one you need.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

Having just received two Dell Ultrasharp monitors this week and two Dell 4k monitors 2 weeks ago, I'll assure you that Dell has you covered. They'll include the mDP-DP cable you'll need for your Mini - my 2012 Mini Server is connected to one of the 4k monitors and looks just fine at the Mini's max capabilities.

One tip, if you need or want a new cable that's left out so far in this thread is that you'll need a DP 1.2-capable cable, which the Dell cables are. My older DP 1.1a and Thunderbolt cables (also 1.1a) didn't activate any of my new Dell monitors - I ordered some Cable Matters mDP-mDP (DP 1.2) cables for when I have clients drop in, and the Dell monitors fired right up.

You'll also want to read other threads here about modifying the EDID of your shiny new Dell if the monitors is showing up as a Television and not a Displayport monitor. Mine all showed up as TVs on my rMBPs and Mini, so I hacked the EDID and now they're showing up as DP monitors in RGB mode. :D

5. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

6. adonis3k macrumors 6502

How are you finding this monitor with the Mac Mini?

7. DJmbp12 macrumors newbie

I found that the mini-dp to DP cable that came with the Dell monitor did not work for me at all. I bought the "Cable Matters" one and that is fine. I just wish I could get 60Hz with at mid 2012 MBP. I get 50Hz. In retrospect, I should have probably gone w/ the LG 34UC97 for the thunderbolt port, maybe. Not sure that my MBP would have used it.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango