Need Camera Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chelstfrox, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Chelstfrox macrumors newbie

I have a few different questions that I would like others options on. I am looking into buying a new camera and am wondering if I should get HD? I know that I will record in standard most of the time (due to putting it on dvd) but when I record in HD is there a way to keep it HD? What is the point in spending the money if I have to convert it back down to put on a DVD. I have a Macbook pro 15in and FCE 4 and I looked into getting a external Blu-Ray burner. Do these burners write video or just data? I don't think its worth it to buy HD if I can't watch it from a blu-ray in HD. Any insight?

Also I was looking into AVCHD but am wondering about log and transfer times. I know FCE converts them both but is one better? I think I'm leaning towards the Canon Vixia HF S100(AVC) if anyone knows if it works well with FCE I know the HF100 does but not sure on the HF S100. Also the Panasonic HDC-TM300 but it's a little bit higher in price.

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

HD is the future, and SD soon will be the past. I'd get an HD camcorder if I were you. You can always down-scale, but you can't get something from nothing. Besides, soon there will be a plethora of affordable Blu-ray burners for the Mac. It's new technology, so it needs to get caught up. In the meantime, you can watch your home movies on your computer, or connect your MBP to your television and watch them that way. Most camcorders allow you to connect the camera to the tv as well.

As for AVCHD, soon we will be able to edit it natively. Log and transfer times on my 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP aren't too bad, and certainly no worse than the realtime logging of tape. Tape has its advantages for archiving, however. But storage is cheap, so archiving AVCHD is hardly difficult.

I don't know about the specific cameras you ask about and whether they work with FCE4, but I have a Canon HG20 and it does. I assume the HFS100 does as well.

3. Chelstfrox thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I will go with HD and just wait until the Blu-ray burners come down a little. Just wondering though if anyone knows, a burner like http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11218 works for burning HD video. I know it says that it burns video but I've heard different people talk about only getting data on blu-rays. Or them not playing in players as video. Has anyone used a blu-ray burner with FCE or Mac