Need car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, May 16, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hey, I have a big family and my parents are looking to buy me a cheap car that gets good mileage, is dependable, and has nothing too fancy. The only problem is, is I live in Minnesota, and in the winter, there are blizzards every year in the most problematic times, so if it is possible, all wheel drive/4 wheel drive would help a lot. It isn't entirely needed, but would help. Any recommendations? I was looking at cheapo early 90's civics/accords, but my father and brother are both 6'6 and I couldn't imagine them being too comfortable.

Where is a good place to look for used cars?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

local newspaper is how i got mine

id get a subaru or a truck personally

however, i have made it through many hard winters with my car ( a celica) in Colorado and NY with no probs

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

4. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I'd definetly say get a Subaru, quite reliable, and they ALL come with AWD. I hear your winters in Minnesota aren't that different from ours (Edmonton Alberta) and I have to tell you, a) you won't fit in a celica ;) and b) you won't survivie a winter in one.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

All Subarus after 1995 come with AWD. Pre-95 it was available but not standard. So use due diligence when looking at early-90s Subies.

As to winter driving, a front wheel drive car with good winter tires will do just fine. Whatever you buy, make sure you get winter tires. AWD is no replacement for winters. A Civic, Accord, Corolla, or Camry is probably your best bet. All good, reliable, and fuel efficient cars that should go forever with basic maintanence. Chevrolet Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire are also decent, especially if you can do some of the work yourself, since parts are very inexpensive.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Could also get an older Jeep. Jeep Cherokees are cheap and I think look good. 1995 and up have airbags. Mileage near 20mpg and easy to work on, parts everywhere. I still have my 2000 and love it.

Plus people are getting rid of SUV's. Could get a 1997 (new body style) and up for < $4,000.