Need carrying case for 17" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crunch, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Hey guys, I am going on a trip for xmas that involves multiple airports (and at least as many security checkpoints; ugh) so I need to get a case that's somewhat sturdy. What do you guys use/recommend?

I remember using a case from Targus with my old ThinkPad (15-incher) which was OK, but I want a nicer case for my new baby with lots of protection and I might take my iPad with me as well, if I can find something that will fit in the overhead compartment on the plane. Besides the Targus carrying case, I also have a "roller", which I'd also strongly consider. Anyway, the selection for 17" laptops is quite scarce, at least as compared to 13" and 15" notebooks and now that I'll be carrying Apple equipment, I gotta look out for the style factor, too, right? :)

Thanks very much! :apple:

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You have to take it out of the case at every security check anyways. And no, those plastic trays are not padded!

Just buy something that is easy to use.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

4. eron macrumors 6502

I highly recommend Briggs and Riley. High quality, well made, and more importantly, Lifetime no questions asked guarantee.

Though when I'm flying, I prefer to have just one bag-Air Boss, and the laptop in a Waterfield case, slotted in the middle padded compartment of the Airboss. The bottom of the Air Boss isn't padded, so I normally put my clothes, or towel at the bottom to cushion it.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

well case like a backpack? a sleeve? a messanger bag? what kind of case...

goincase.com.

have lots of options for you

6. tmagman macrumors 6502

+1 on the Briggs and Riley. Outstanding products.

Also...

I've been through some security at airports with my macbook in a neoprene sleeve (like the incase ones they sell in the store) and they've said its fine to leave it in that sleeve as long as its in a separate tray. As much as people rag on the TSA and such, they often will understand this sort of thing. I'm the nightmare traveler with a bag full of technology including lenses, camera bodies, batteries, laptop... the works. They know you spend good money on your goods and aren't going to abuse it.

7. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I have a Brenthaven bag, which has now been through 3 different MBP 17'ers and it still looks brand new. It has been well traveled, both by car and plane. It has been drop tested as well, as it tumbled out of the back of a loaded SUV. The laptop booted up just fine and worked problem free for years after. Unfortunately that particular model seems to be gone, but I would definitely by another one. It comes with a lifetime warranty however, and if it keeps holding up the way it has so far, I think it may outlast me.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

9. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I also have a Brenthaven for about 3 years and it still looks new and I've traveled with it.

10. B.LI, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

B.LI macrumors regular

well it really depends where you are, some countries you can get away with a carrying case or sleeve, but some won't.
    I would advice investing some extra on a body shell (e.g. spec) just in case you ever need it out on those trays for scanning

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My MBP has seen many of these trays from the inside. No issues. But I agree that a shell is the best solution to prevent the macbook from making contact with the tray.

12. happle macrumors 6502a

booq vyper here. i like it becausee its still small and sleek enough, but provides more protection that your average neoprene sleeve.

13. trikky, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

trikky macrumors regular

I bought one of these from Costco

I bought one of these from Costco. It's one of those that fold in half, making most airport security checks happy. Laptop visible on one side, your junk in the other.

It's a little on the heavy side, but overall I think I'm happy with it. Certainly, the price was right. :)

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Whatever case you get make sure that you get a sleeve. In Europe you have to take the laptop out of your bag, but 99% of the time you won't have to take it out of the sleeve. I travel quite a lot and that is my experience. I assume it's similar in other parts of the world.