Need case advice: heavy commuter about to be an iPad 2 owner

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by spiderman0616, Mar 26, 2011.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Ok--I really need some advice from the forums.

For my new job, I spend about 2 1/2 hours on the train commuting each day. I also have an hour lunch which I usually spend at my desk. It was time to order an iPad, so I ordered my iPad 2 tonight.

Looks like I have about a month to decide on what case to buy for it. I definitely do NOT want to "go naked" with this thing for several reasons:

1. I am INCREDIBLY anal about my devices. Ask my iPhone. I don't want bumps, scratches, or dings on my iPad, and it will be proned to that type of thing from doing so much traveling.

2. I may have to walk in the rain some days. On those days I'm sure I'll have it in a bag or some other protective covering, but I still want the case to be something that will protect it from stray rain drops.

3. My wife and kids may use it from time to time and I need something to protect it from grimy hands. I already bought screen protectors for it, so I'm not worried about the screen, but more the bezel and the back of it.

Needless to say, I don't think I want the smart cover. I have heard that it scratches the iPad up and I don't think it's going to give me enough protection. I appreciate the idea, but it's not enough insurance for my $500 device.

The best case I've ever had in my life for any device is my current one: the Belkin GripVue because it does not bang up my antenna band or glass and it's easy to get on and off. Anyone have a suggestion that's similar to that?

Highly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. kalex macrumors 65816

Otterbox defender or commuter series. Not sure when they will start shipping them but that should work for u

3. glen e macrumors 68030

Stay home in the closet.......too many ways your 500 device can get scratched in the real world.

Seriously, relax, get a full case like a marware or portenzo , a screen lfilm and worry about something else...

4. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I'm a heavy commuter - on small (14 seat) airplanes every week. I'm so looking forward to leaving my laptop and heavy backpack behind on future trips. I treat my devices well, though I don't worry about natural wear and tear.

To protect my iPad 2, I bought the smart cover for the screen. I got a decorative GellaSkin (vinyl sticker) for the back (I haven't decided if I will use the GellaSkin around the bezel). To carry it around I bought a Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad. It has thick padding that fits the iPad 2 perfectly and has plenty of room for other essentials.