Need CC on a recent family shoot I did.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Razeus, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The composition is fine, maybe more close-up shots would be nice.
    One thing that caught my eye is how #3 and 4 look pretty much the same. Some variation in pose could make the photos more interesting.

3. TyroneShoes2, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

Wonderful

Nice job, Raz. You have a great looking family. Priceless.

Personally, I try to compose so that the subject is illuminated a bit more than the background. I understand that this is easier said than done in an outside full-sun shot, so I will cut you a break. I especially like the depth of field in shot 2. If you look at the amount of backlight on the older boy's hair, that is just exactly the right amount to separate him from the background, which makes this shot pretty close to perfect, and quite a feat to accomplish in natural light. Did you use any fill? I see no other shadows--maybe a reflector?

Those 2 little guys are pretty precious; even more so in how they look just like their parents. You will be very happy some day that you took the time to take these shots. Well done, amigo. For some reason that I just can't explain, it makes me very happy to see these pix. :)

4. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

The set looks good. Do you have more from the set? Some non posed shots, a bit more candid/lifestyle to add more variety.

5. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I think that they are good family pics. Unless pic #3's location is of signification, I would crop it closer. Pic #3 has the littlest one smiling.

6. danahn17 macrumors 6502

Great pics!

Perhaps this is picking at the nitty-gritty (and is not entirely your fault) but since the family was wearing green clothes, it kind of blended in with the green in the background (esp #3). I'm not sure if you have other photos with different backgrounds, but it may be something to keep in mind for next time :)

7. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks guys. I putting the package of them together today. Yes, I did do candids and such, all together about 21 good images.

I used a flash for all of these shots because with the bright sun at 10-11am, I didn't want their faces to be in shadows. I wanted them to pop out a bit.

8. mikepro macrumors 6502

#1, I would have moved to the left or right to reframe the shot to get that back pillar of wood out of the image. I find it distracts me, keeps drawing my eye away from the people. If you wanted to maintain that angled persepctive, just move to the right. Otherwise move to the left, and shoot them head on. Also, I would burn (darken) the background a bit to provide more contrast between that and the people.

#2 Somewhat distracted by the chain on the left. Also, slightly distracted by the uneven distance between the edge and the mans arm, and the edge and the woman's arm. Again, that chain is kind of making it worse. Maybe use both chains as a framing element, or get them both out of the shot? Good light and depth of field.

9. VI™ macrumors 6502a

What kind of flashes are you using and how what it used? Speedlights will be a bit under powered for this type of work and on camera provides a good fill, but with one or two off camera lights with a bit of power behind them, you can drop the ambient a bit and expose the subjects better.

10. Razeus, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

I used an SB-700 with +2 EV. I started with -2 EV, but forgot to change it back after leaving heavy shaded areas. They work fine for situations like this. My goal was to make it look like I didn't use a flash and the light was all even and bright. I think I nailed it. I should have raised my shutter to drop the ambient abit, but the client is pretty much ecstatic with the photos. I guess one would be if all your use to are cell phone pics of your family.

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I realize the clothing was the family's choice, but the light greens in the clothing blends in a bit with the background. Especially the man's shirt. Looks a bit saturated or contrasty to me, too. Posing and composition is fine.

They remind me of the outdoor shoot I had done for my own wedding last summer.

Dale

12. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I agree with him about the chain in this shot, I also found my eyes being drawn to the chain quite a bit. Maybe do a bit of blurring or something.. I just found it to be a bit distracting as well.

I like all the other shots though, they look great. If I was a paying customer I'd be very happy with this collection!