Need cd/disk drive stories! Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mteesty, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Mteesty, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Mteesty macrumors newbie

I am taking an Intro to Product Design class at college and I am gathering information for a project.
    The disk drives in macs seem to cause a problem for everyone at one point or another. I am trying to design a product or redesign the disk drive to fix this. Sometimes CDs get stuck, aren't read, or can't be ejected by normal methods. Also, it is very easy for items to get in there that don't belong there and then cause problems.

OR if you disagree and don't think this is a problem please explain! This would really help me.

From what I know at the moment problems seem to happen most often when a mac is put in a backpack or bag without a case and loose change or other small items find their way into the disk drive.
    If you can relate, please tell me your story.
    How did it happen, what got in there, and how was this resolved?

Or if you have an usual story about any other malfunctions please feel free to share!

Thank you for your help.

2. Mteesty thread starter macrumors newbie

3. some idiot macrumors member

make them like old floppy drives with the latch on them so you can just pull them out manually.

[​IMG]

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

The problems are not unique to Macs; The removable physical media can get stuck in virtually any computer drive with removable media. The old ZIP drives had problems now and then and they were used in both windows and Mac.

5. Mteesty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'd love to get some more input...what are some other solutions?
    Any items get stuck in the cd drive?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The smaller mini-discs do. A lot of people have come on here asking how to remove that mini-CD they stupidly put in a slot loading drive.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

what if you made a cover like a garage. It is hard to explain. Maybe get a box that is 3 times the hight of the disk drive, place the drive at thebuttom, make a door that rolls to the top?
    Personally I ditched the disk drive, got a macbook air.

Oh a story:
    Note this it not applicable to macs because they are slot not tray loading
    I was lying on the ground doing homework, the disk drive popped out. My buddy walked by and bent the tray,

----------

and also sd chips they put in the drives!

8. Mteesty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the input! I'm still gathering research and any/all information is very helpful!
    The project is due Nov. 10.
    I'll post the final results here.(will have images and models of the final solution I settle on)