Need Cheap but Good HD Camera, Flip or Webbie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matt1219, Apr 25, 2009.

1. matt1219 macrumors regular

I'm looking for an HD camera, and I don't need an expensive one because the school I'm going to is getting HD professional camcorders. I was looking at the Flip Mino HD and the Sony Webbie, and the Webbie seems a bit better. Which one is better? Do you have other suggestions? Also, I know both have 720p, , but Webbie has both 1280x720 and 1440x1080. Is the second resolution full HD? I'm a little puzzled. :confused: Please help.

2. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I just looked 1440x1080 online, so the pixels in this resolution are rectangle, whereas 1920x1080 is square. Do they look equally good? And also, what's the difference between the two Webbies? (One's traditional and 30 bucks more, one's vertical and is only $169.99)

3. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

4. faxao macrumors regular

Guess the only difference between the two (apart from the format) is the zoom: 5x optical + 20x digital on the MHS-CM1 and just 4x digital on the MHS-PM1.
    I have recently bought a Toshiba Camileo S10 and I am more than happy with it.....:)

5. followme macrumors regular

followme

Don't skimp on the camera. An extra $100 to $200 will make a lot of difference in terms of quality and manual controls. I suggest getting a good camera rather than regret skimping.

May I suggest the Canon HV30? It has native 30p which can translate to an easy shift to web delivery. It also has 24p if you're obsessed with the "film look" (yeah, it's all controversial now).

6. routerreview07 macrumors newbie

Mino offers you very basic controls, the Webbies offer slightly more control over the camera functions, including that optical zoom on the CM1. All in all, I think the Sony unit trounce the Mino which is in the same price range. Slightly unusual for Sony camcorders, the cameras are also priced in line with the rest of the pocket camcorder market.