Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Hey can anyone clarify something for me in regards to software compatibility with M1 apple silicon? When a software developer says their software is currently "not compatible with M1" or "not supported yet for M1" does that mean its not OPTIMIZED for M1to run WELL or does that mean it simply wont run and will crash instantly or not open? I use many different apps daily for work and I am interested in the M1 MacBook Air over my intel MBP because of speed and battery life. but Im worried about apps not working and I would have to wait 3-4-6 months until a developer releases a M1 version. I also dont want to buy now and then find out nothing works and have to return the Air.
Basically, I dont mind waiting until "M1 optimized" versions come out and meanwhile run things emulated with Rosetta as long as they actually WORK somehow. Technically, can any app that worked on an intel Mac at least "run" on an M1 with rosetta? or is their a chance an app could not run AT ALL?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Could mean either, depending on what they’re doing and using under the hood. Something like Docker, for example, just doesn’t work. And it won’t until Google ports Go (and a lot more, they explain it well here: https://www.docker.com/blog/apple-silicon-m1-chips-and-docker/). If they say “not supported” I’d guess they mean it just doesn’t work at all, even under Rosetta. Best to contact the developer to find out for sure.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Hey can anyone clarify something for me in regards to software compatibility with M1 apple silicon? When a software developer says their software is currently "not compatible with M1" or "not supported yet for M1" does that mean its not OPTIMIZED for M1to run WELL or does that mean it simply wont run and will crash instantly or not open? I use many different apps daily for work and I am interested in the M1 MacBook Air over my intel MBP because of speed and battery life. but Im worried about apps not working and I would have to wait 3-4-6 months until a developer releases a M1 version. I also dont want to buy now and then find out nothing works and have to return the Air.
Basically, I dont mind waiting until "M1 optimized" versions come out and meanwhile run things emulated with Rosetta as long as they actually WORK somehow. Technically, can any app that worked on an intel Mac at least "run" on an M1 with rosetta? or is their a chance an app could not run AT ALL?
I think we should start with where are you getting the app from?

wyrdness

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Your question is very vague. Which apps are you needing to use? The majority will either be updated soon for Apple Silicon or will run happily under Rosetta. Some apps are more complex, with Docker being at the extreme end of the difficulty scale, since it has to virtualise Linux.

If you tell us which apps you use, then someone here may have an idea of whether it will work.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
“Not compatible” means it won’t run. “Not supported” means it may or may not run, but if you want to try, it’s at your own risk — the developer won’t support you.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
You will need to check each app. Some will run fine under Rosetta 2, others will not run at all. For example Screenflow a screen casting App will not run at all under Rosetta 2. Also Big Sur like Catalina will not run any 32bit app.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
an installer on my hard drive..? What do you mean where from? Like a .dmg installer like most Apps
Ok so that answered it, NOT from the App Store (where you don’t have to think about this at all).

So my current understanding is that the vast, vast majority of x86 apps will run.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
“Not compatible” means it won’t run. “Not supported” means it may or may not run, but if you want to try, it’s at your own risk — the developer won’t support you.
... which can be as bad as that sounds, or can mean the developer is hurrying their testing on an upcoming universal binary version and not focusing on doing anything about the current version.

Lots of grey area.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Ok so that answered it, NOT from the App Store (where you don’t have to think about this at all).

So my current understanding is that the vast, vast majority of x86 apps will run.
Ok I understand. Just to clarify, Catalina and Big Sur can still install apps NOT on the App Store right? As long as they are 64 bit

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Ok I understand. Just to clarify, Catalina and Big Sur can still install apps NOT on the App Store right? As long as they are 64 bit
Yup, that shouldn’t be a problem at all. Most things will use Rosetta without issue, it’s the more complicated programs that may have to wait for compatibility.

sbm

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
United States
Sorry to be late to the discussion, I occasionally give advise to grad students about computers and software, but I am unable to figure out from the various vendor's websites if their software is compatible with the new Macs. Is there an easy way to determine if apps will work on the new MacBook? Will any of the following run on the new M1 Macs: MAXQDA, STATA, SPSS, Tableau, NVivo, Capture One, R and RStudio? I don't believe any of these come from the App Store.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Sorry to be late to the discussion, I occasionally give advise to grad students about computers and software, but I am unable to figure out from the various vendor's websites if their software is compatible with the new Macs. Is there an easy way to determine if apps will work on the new MacBook? Will any of the following run on the new M1 Macs: MAXQDA, STATA, SPSS, Tableau, NVivo, Capture One, R and RStudio? I don't believe any of these come from the App Store.

I'd suggest directly contacting the software vendors via their email or phone contact points.

Also consider searching/checking this thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/universal-and-native-apple-silicon-apps.2267176/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.