NEED CLARIFICATION: Buying iPhone under 18

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BJB Productions, Oct 17, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Ok, I've done lots of searching about this, and every answer I find is different. Please, if someone with the correct info would be so kind as to inform me about this...

Dilemma: Want an iPhone, but I'm only 17.

Question: Is there any way (besides joining a family plan) to get an iPhone (On Sprint)? Can a parent sign the contract with me? Would payment have to be through them, or could I still use my credit card to pay for service?

To know: I'm looking at Sprint, not ATT, or Verizon. I am a new customer, (obviously), and none of my family members are on Sprint.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

and please... no haters. Yes, I have a job, and I can pay for it. No, I'm not a rotten, spoiled snob.

2. AppleiPad macrumors member

How do you have a credit card if you're 17?

And to the best of my knowledge you can't sign up for a contract since you're
    (a) Not legally allowed to sign a contract--your signature means nothing as far as the law goes.
    (b) You have no credit history, and therefore Sprint is not going to subsidize your phone without a guarantee that you are going to make monthly payments.

Do your parents not have cell phones that they can add you to the plan? Unless they're on T-Mo I see no reason why they would be opposed to adding you and having you pay them the additional cost.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you are emancipated, you cannot enter into a contract. You're only real option is to have your parents get you one, or buy one on ebay and activated on your families cell plan.

4. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

My apologies, not credit card technically; debit, but it can be used as both. My father is on ATT, but it's a personal plan. Can I somehow join that, while we still both maintain a personal plan? Or would it have to change to a family plan?

5. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

I have a Credit Card. Im 16. Have had it since I've been 15.

Can use it as Credit and Debit. Have my own Savings, and Checkings account.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It would have to be a family plan, but it would end up being cheaper for both of you.

Depending on the features you pick*, it's possible that 2 phones on a family plan is slightly less than 2 individual plans.

Offer to pay 50% of the whole bill, whatever it is. It'll be less than you were planning on AND his bill will go down. Win-win

*(This is the thing, though, if he basically has nothing on his plan now and you want a maxed-out plan, my advice might not work out. But play with the numbers.)

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Thank you for the clarification. That is exactly what I needed to know.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

You don't have a credit card, you have a debit card.

:/

You can't use a credit card as a debit card.

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I think your best option would be is asking your parents to pay for it then you just repay your parents.

10. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

So, you're saying basically they would purchase the phone and plan under their name, and pay for it; and I would just repay them each month, etc.

Yeah that's an option too. Although not as easy.

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

That's about your only option.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

honestly it is your easiest, when the bill comes in, fork over whatever they have to pay :)