need clarification on all the differnt apple app stores and itunes stores

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

What is the difference between them all?

I saw online that on my mac desktop, the itunes is an app that contains iOS apps to buy, and the app store on my mac desktop is for buying desktop apps for my computer. I understood this.

but what about on my devices such as my iphone and ipad? I notice they both have itunes and an app store. Is the itunes my devices just for buying music? is the app store on my devices just for buying accessing my iOS apps?

2. kboller07 macrumors member

The app store on your mac is to purchase apps just for your mac.
    The app store on iPads and iPhones are to purchase apps for just those devices. The apps with the + sign can be bought once and downloaded on both iPads and iPhones. Some are strictly for the iPhone and you can run them on your iPad but they will be phone sized (although you can magnify them). iTunes stores both on your iPad, iPhone and mac (which can be accessed through iTunes app), are to purchase music, music videos, tv shows and movies

3. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

You are certainly correct that it's confusing for many people. To make it clear, they are really all the same Apple Store but the content that you see and can purchase is dependent on the iOS or Mac OS device that you are using.

What is critical is that you always use the same Apple ID to login to these store accounts!!!! If you always use the same Apple ID account to login then you will always have access to any Music, Apps, Applications, Movies, etc. that you have purchased from Apple -- no mater which device you are using.