Need Clarification on Jailbreaking 4.2.1 on an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ItouchMe, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

I've been trying to do research, but getting extremely confused. The new apple firmware that was just release which I believe is 4.2.1. Is there a working UNTETHERED jailbreak for iPhone 4 users who are using AT&T?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

you have to wait for a release, no official JB for 4.2.1 yet (all you see around is unofficial hacks, cydia build that works on 4.2.1 is not public yet). Just wait, 4.2.1 final have just been live for less than an hour

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its been officially out for what a half hour now?
    I can see you're really patient:D

4. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

5. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I would wait for the official jail break. The only reason I have mine jail broken is MYWI, and I really don't want to loose that app, to a half ass jail break.

6. andy9l, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

andy9l macrumors 68000

I too found it difficult to research this topic. There's so many sites claiming '4.2.1 ready for JB', but it's not. I found the best place to find true facts is to just follow relevant users on Twitter - @comex, @saurik, @iphone_dev to name a few.

The answer for now is no.

7. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

there is no untethered jailbreak for iphone 4 (4.2.1)

8. urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

muscle nerd just tweeted:

until @comex can pull another trick out of his hat, the 4.2.1 JB is tethered on all except 3G, older 3GS, & non-MC ipt2g

9. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

thanks for reposting the same thing i guess...

10. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I thought there would be unthethered one hence the whole save your blobs deal. Great, guess I won't be updating then.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Glad my 3GS has the old boot

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Give it time folks it will Be at least 2 weeks before I jb. Many jb apps/hacks won't work with 4.2.1 at least the good ones. But I let you jb speed freaks tell me all that. I'll wait till everything is working smooth.

13. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

SHSH blobs allow you to downgrade the firmware Apple is no longer signing. Has nothing to do with whether a future firmware JB is tethered or not.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

same here. I never even upgraded to 4.1, there was nothing compelling there.... 4.2.1 is a bit more intriguing but I'll be waiting until everything is running smoothly.

15. atrac7 macrumors regular

Does this mean there is an unlock ready or soon to be ready for the 3G? My dad's 3G is running slow as a dog on 4.1 but I would need to retain an unlock for him.

Thanks

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The impatience of some people just astounds me.

I want it and I want it now ! :rolleyes:

17. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

From DevTeam blog:

18. philstone macrumors 6502

For those of us who are impatient.. (I more than liekly will wait but I enjoy playing and potentially crashing my phone) what are the drawbacks of JB now, apart from tethered, is Cydia now updated?

Cheers!

19. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

seriously, if you dont have an HP Printer (needed for AirPrint) or AirPlay-compatible speakers... there just isnt any good reason to rush to download this update.

20. ngenerator, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Apparently redsn0w is now updated to jb 4.2.1. The only catch is that for now it's a tethered jailbreak

Ps. Congrats on your promotion, dhlizard!

21. Gxray macrumors member

btw, its a semi-tethered jailbreak. Just clearing that up as it confused me while trying to run jailbroken apps and they wouldn't open.

For those that don't know, semi-tethered jailbreak means that your device will still boot into it's normal(non-jailbroken) mode if you're not near a computer and can't jailbreak boot it.

22. QuarterSwede, Nov 23, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's a far site better than not being able to boot at all unless you're tethered. At least the phone is usable if you have to reboot when you're out and about. I'm happy with this solution till @Comex figures out how to make it untethered.

23. Sherifftruman, Nov 23, 2010

Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

So, reading the story at Redmond Pie confused me a little. Once you get Cydia and everything else installed on the tethered or semi-tethered JB, can you open and run Cydia to install new packages while the phone is untethered or do you have to actually hook up your phone to the computer every time you install or update something? Here is the text below.

Actually, reading a few times, I guess you can use Cydia and others as long as you have booted tethered? Really, if you are jailbreaking, you are never going to boot untethered unless you have to. For those of us who have only ever used an Untethered JB, having the respring option is making more and more sense now as not only does it save time over a reboot, but it allows you to install or change things without going back to your PC.

24. philstone macrumors 6502

Just be aware that a lot of JB apps are not compatible.. FolderEnhancer is one I've just found.