Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claus1225

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Dear all,

I have been reading a bunch of posts about unlocking iphone 4 and buying an iphone 4 without contract with ATT. But I am not sure if I understand everything. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1) you can buy an iphone 4 without contract from ATT for around $600 (the 16 gig model). However, the phone will still be eternally locked to ATT unless you unlock it with outside software.

2) you can unlock iphone 4 if it's running on OS 4.0 but not higher. If you update to 4.1, you will not be unlock the phone until newer version of unlocking software is released.

My questions are
1) what is the difference between buying an iphone with contract and without? It seems to me that the Early termination fee you pay ($375) plus $199 is about the same as the price of the contract-free phone ($600). Or are there other catches?

2) After you unlocked your phone, can you use it in china or taiwan (just insert SIM card)?

thank you for your help

claus

claus1225

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2009
I see. So if I buy an iphone 4 now, it will have OS 4.1 and I wouldn't be able to unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.