Need clarification regarding Carbon-support in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macnewbie322, Sep 19, 2009.

1. macnewbie322 macrumors newbie

Can someone help me to clarify exactely what the deal is when it comes to Carbon and 10.6?

Some of my software (not software I wrote...software I use) is not running correctly on 10.6 and mostly software that relies on plugins tied into Firefox. The applications are Carbon applications and I seem to remember hearing that Apple dropped all Carbon support in 10.6. Is this right?

But for example Diablo runs fine and even says "Diable (Carbon)".

Is is that the Finder only runs Cocoa and hence plugins for the brower that relies on Carbon cannot be launched?

I'm simply confused. If Apple dropped Carbon in 10.6, when/where was it annonced? Was carbon-support lacking in the Dev.ed's of Snow Leopard aswell? I'm just trying to wrap me head around it so I can figure out if the reply I got from the software vendor is just a load of BS or not. They said "Ooops, this caught us by surprise. We had no idea they were going to drop Carbon in 10.6!"

Thankful for all replies

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Carbon applicaiton support was not dropped in 10.6. If this was true, iTunes wouldn't work (any version)

only carbon frameworks are dropped, meaning developers can't write carbon apps unless they bring the frameworks over

3. macnewbie322 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, thanks! I see.
    When did Apple announce that they would drop the carbon frameworks?
    Was this info not public knowledge until after the Snow Leopard launch or was it mentioned on any of the wwdc or other material that developers have access to?
    I'm just curious as they told me they have no idea that Apple was going to make this change until about a month ago...which to me seems odd.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

No that is incorrect.

The carbon frameworks are still in Xcode. What has changed is that there is not nor will there ever be carbon 64 bit.