Need company to install car sound system; advice please!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kevster89, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

I'm planning on purchasing a nice new audio system (head unit, amps, subs, etc. - the whole lot) for my scion tc.

I know a lot about the different components (amps, subs, etc.), how to evaluate them, good vs. bad, etc. The only problem is that I have no real experience installing them.

Therefore, I want a company to possibly install all of this for me. For those of you that have had a corporation do this in the past, which one and how was your experience? Did they do a good job? Is the sound system still holding up a long while later?

I know Tweeter, Circuit City, and Best Buy performs this kind of service. Any other notable corporations that do as well?

Any recommendations/advice/guidance/stories are all appreciated.

Thanks everyone! :D

2. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Might be useful to include your location; i'm guessing by the fact it's a Scion? and you reference Bestbuy etc your somewhere in the USA (We don't have Scion here).

Because when i did this to my Ford Fiesta, the local smaller car audio shops were a LOT better than the big chains like Halfords. They can usually offer better equipment and generally know what they are doing more than the chains.

If you want decent amp's you'd need new wiring from your battery, maybe even a bigger alternator, good fuses etc. etc.

3. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

Great point about including the location haha! I suppose that would help.

Chicagoland area. Therefore, if anyone in or around (suburbs) Chicago has had a sound system professionally installed, let me know who did the work and how it is holding up today.

4. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I'll second the recommendation on getting your audio done at a local shop rather than the chain stores. I had a few friends that worked at Best Buy and Circuit City and from what they told me, I decided to get my stereo work done at a local shop. Small shops live and die by their reputations so they have to do quality work or they go out of business...big chains, not so much.

I had all my stuff installed at a local shop that I found via Alpine's website (they had a drawing and the winner had their equipment installed at this particular shop). I was going to go with an audio shop I found at a local car show but they were so busy/popular that I could never find a time that matched. So maybe hit up a local car show and talk with some of the people there.

And yes, you'll want to upgrade if you are putting any decent amount of power into the system. In the two cars that I have my equipment in, I've put in a capacitor, bigger alternator, upgraded wiring, and yellowtop batteries.

5. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Other wise textbook evaluation. You may want to go through a smaller shop rather than best buy or circuit city. They may even throw it in for free if you buy all your stuff through them.

6. dmw2692004 macrumors member

local shop, without a doubt.

I myself do a lot of car audio installations, and I work at bestbuy(cashier, only seasonal) and I know for a fact that best buy, tweeter, circuit city etc.. do a horrific job on installations.

I will warn you thought, expect to pay a premium at the local shop, since they are going to be dedicating a lot more time and resources into your car than a big chain would be.

7. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I spent 3 years(not counting the hobby years) in the 12volt world, all of them installing.

Don't dismiss all of the chain guys JUST because they work at a chain. There are some REALLY talented guys at some of the chain stores.

What you need to look for is an installer who will actually talk to you and has pictures of previous work. You need to see pictures of the entire build, not just the completed project.

8. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

id stay away from chains...
    go do research at a scion forum.

scionlife.com

you can check out the tc forum or even the regional forums and find good places right around you.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if you can find a hi-fi buys, i've had good experiences with them. and they do talk to you. but i've had a bad experience with best buy

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

With some patience, I'm sure you could do it yourself. It's very rewarding and much cheaper. Crutchfield.com has some great guides and I highly recommend them for purchasing your components.

Good luck!