Need Compatible adapter to do 4K @ 60hz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gregintosh, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Apples support site says the early 2016 MacBook supports 4K @ 60hz over HDMI with a compatible adapter. The question is, which adapter supports this?

I have been looking for days, can't seem to find anything that claims 60hz output at that resolution AND allows charging at the same time.

I figured maybe just get a USB-C hub and an individual adapter, but I can't find USB-C hubs that give you more than a single USB-C port to use for charging.

Anyone have a solution?

2. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Caldigit looks like a good solution for you, see "Is 4K @ 60Hz monitor supported?" in the FAQ for some limitations.

4. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm good with the limitations of Caldigit, and it looks like this may be a good solution but it's a bit expensive at $135. If Apple had just included one more port I wouldn't need it. Ugh.

Does anyone else have a solution? If not, I'll probably end up with this one.

5. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

This looks like a good adapter, but it does not charge the MacBook which won't work for me. It would have been perfect had Apple included two USB's instead of one. However, I did look around club-3D's site and found what looks like a good adapter.

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pr...t/usb-30-type-c-to-hdmi-20-usb-mini-dock.html

This has charging capability, an extra USB port, and HDMI output with 60hz support for 4k. I found it on Amazon for $59 after coupon, so I placed the order. Hopefully it works! At half the price of the Caldigit solution, the price was a lot less painful.