Need comprehensive iOS 8 help please!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iMoverBerlin, Sep 22, 2014.

1. iMoverBerlin macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Well, let me add my voice to the chorus of people having problems with iOS8.

I am using an iPhone5c. Here are all the apps that I've been having trouble with and what the problems are:

iMessenger: Almost un-useable. After taking a long time to load, the app does not respond to touch. The keyboard takes at least a minute to appear and then keys don't work when it does. My messages aren't syncing anymore with Messenger on my computers and it's only ever sending text messages, not chats, even with other Mac users.

Instagram: Totally un-useable. Crashes always at start up.

Atari Greatest Hits: no console or controllers showing up anymore. Un-playable.

Settings: slow to scroll.

Resetting network settings only leads to the apple logo and progress bar appearing, and then it freezes. I have to consequently do a hard reset.

I went out of town last weekend and was trying to use Wifif and every time I entered Passwords it said the passwords were incorrect even though I always entered them correctly. This happened on a couple different Wifi networks.

Generally the phone is slower overall. Even entering my password freezes a bit. Most apps open slower and several crash on first opening, like Google Maps. Verifications take slower or time out.

What I would love is some comprehensive trouble shooting for these issues. I know all about backing up and restoring. I'm looking for something a bit more effective. I assume (hope) some of these problems will resolve with updates. Maybe I just need advice on how to make my phone run faster. I'll resort to a clean install if nothing else works.

Any advice is very welcome. Thank you all very much!

2. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

wow looks like your 5C is trying to tell you something. ie. Bring me to the Apple Store!

From what you've stated it looks like you've kept your Apps up to date?

I personally have some apps crashing on me since upgrading to a 6 from an iphone 4. But I blame that on the dev's of the apps.

Take your 5C into apple if possible but always back up your phone prior to going. I could be wrong but the 5C chip/processor is an A6 which might be an issue. But also storage can cause slow downs especially if you very little left.

GL!

3. iMoverBerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just got off from a long Live chat with Apple (Their online service has gotten a lot better I might add. You could never get a live chat before.) We tried restoring and taking out and reinserting my SIM card. Nothing worked and he also suggested taking it to a Mac store. Luckily it's still under warranty.

The ******** of course is that I have to go through this trouble because of a simple update. I've backed up everything. My phone has enough storage to handle this. Hopefully the processor is the issue.

I'm definitely not into waiting 5-7 for my phone to be fixed. There is the 'express' option which I of course I have to pay for. But why the hell should I pay more for this when all I did was install an update? It's appalling that

4. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

Yeah I hear you. Sending it in is probably the longest way around to getting a replacement. But if a store is near you, which I hope, is the best way to get immediate exchange.

If you've used apple products before you'll notice that sometimes updates can harm your device. You'll see complaints about battery life for sure and at times bugs or even blown antennas,GPS and Wifi issues. But if its all within 1 year or under apple care you can rest assured that you'll def. get a replacement. When I got my 3G years ago and some dust accumulated under the screen, I brought it in and had it replaced in 10mins flat. It is a hassel to send it in or even drive out to the store but nothing beats having something replaced outright.

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

When you reset the device, did you restore from backup? Sometimes backups keep the corrupted stuff around. Sucks but you might want to transfer over your photos and videos, make sure your contacts, calendars and all that are synced with your cloud of choice, save out any documents you need from the respective apps, and start over fresh. I've had the genius bar guys tell me before that instead of doing a complete restore (which can restore the settings, which can get corrupted) to just try doing "Reset All Settings" (NOT CONTENT). Apparently that was also a fix that worked for a lot of people who had iPad 2 and had issues after upgrading to iOS 7 last year.

6. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

How did you update? OTA through the Settings app or through iTunes? I have always had trouble updating OTA and have fixed them by restoring the phone in iTunes and then restoring the backup of the phone. I have an iPhone 5 (which is pretty much your 5C) and run iOS 8 smoothly.

7. iMoverBerlin, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

iMoverBerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the Apple Store here is backed up for a week. I made arrangements to send it in. In the meantime, I'm back to my 3GS, which is fine. Since the 5c is under warranty, I might as well get a replacement while I can, unless they can fix the one I got.

----------

The weird thing is that we did restore the phone fresh, and then I had some trouble verifying it via iCloud when the set up screen came back on. Finally it worked, but my phone just restored to the last back-up I made. Not a brand new set-up.

I've heard that backups can save corrupted data. I really hope this isn't the case. If worse come to worse, I'll make sure photos and videos are downloaded and important documents are saved.

8. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Why don't you just bite the bullet and do a clean restore? Don't get me wrong, it sucks having to set everything up all over again. But, it could save a bunch of time if all these issues are simply due to software and not hardware.

9. iMoverBerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried resetting network settings and the Apple logo comes on with the progress bar, and then freezes. Trying to Reset All Settings now. Thanks!

----------

Think we tried that already. As I wrote we did a clean restore and then it jut went back to my previous set up. Maybe I did it wrong?

----------

Sorry what does OTA mean?

10. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Yeah I believe the option is "Set Up As New" or something along those lines. You need to make sure that's the one you choose otherwise it'll just re download your backup.

And OTA means Over The Air. So updating right from the settings app on your phone. Not tethered to computer for update via iTunes.

11. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

Over the Air

12. iMoverBerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Just needed a clean install

So after ALL that, I went ahead and restored my phone clean, i.e: swiped everything and started from scratch. The phone was very swift and functional after that. Then after restoring form my last backup, it still worked great! All my music was gone, but whatever. I can add that again.

Just happy to have iMessenger and other apps working fine again...maybe even a little faster!

Gonna give it a couple days to make sure all is good. I can still send it in if I want to.

Thank you all for you help!

P.S. Atari's Greatest Hits is still giving me trouble. I can't restore my old game purchases. Very annoying. I'm sure this means they have to produce an update. If anyone has any thoughts on that?....

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yep you gotta wait for developers to support iOS 8 in their apps.