Need computer now, but should I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaronc98, Jan 16, 2015.

1. aaronc98 macrumors newbie

I need to get a new computer now, and was eyeing the 15 MBP retina, but with Broadwell so close should I try to figure out a way to wait for the new flagship? I could go with a cheap one until the new ones come out...

thoughts?

thanks,

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you need a computer now, get one. The Macs for sale right now, are more than capable of handling anything you can throw at them.

If you wait until the latest and greatest comes out, you will be continually waiting. And if the newest was out today and you purchased it, in 6 months or so, something newer comes out. In the end, it won't matter, because your purchase is still meaningful and meeting your need.

There is a group on here, that cares about being able to brag that they have the latest Apple offering. And in the grand scheme of things, being about to brag on Macrumors about having the newest Mac doesn't really matter except in one's ego-driven mind. Don't fall into that group.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The advice I usually give at this point is if you don't mind waiting what could be three to six months then do that, but if you want one now buy one now.

There's no need to feel bad about not having the latest hardware, but not everyone who does and writes it in their signature is ego-driven. FYI I got my retina iMac before even joining MacRumors ;)

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

i don't feel bad.

As I said, there are a lot of people on here, who buy the latest every time it comes out. If that makes them happy, so be it. My main point of contention, is that many of these same people advise others here to start playing the wait for and buy the latest and supposedly greatest offering game. As if buying a Mac is some kind of investment. Macs are wonderful tools. And I think if some aren't careful here, they will get caught up in trying to keep up with those who don't mind throwing money around, so they can brag to others in person or online, that they have the latest hardware.

The same kind of thing happens with those who start seeing problems with a new purchase that probably isn't there, because they have been reading the forums, and see other people doing the same.

Don't get me wrong. I think Apple products are great. I enjoy using them and recommend them to others. At the same time, I think it is important to keep things in proper perspective.

If a person needs a computer today and buys one, it will still be just as useful when the newest models are released. The way some here talk, you would think that if you don't have the latest computer, that you just can't hack it.

Why wait 6 months if you need a computer now? What is truly gained by waiting 6 months, outside of being able to say you have the latest and supposedly greatest, (for the next 6 months) when the cycle starts all over again.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If you need it now, you can't wait. If you can wait, you don't need it now, you want it now... ;)

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

lol...well said ..and true!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well that more or less answers your own question doesn't it. You need it now, so buy now. If you could wait 6+ months, then you could get the broadwell MBP, but since you stated you have a need. Take the plunge.

8. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

The current computers are very capable but personally I wouldn't buy 2 year old tech for full price at the moment, which is the main gripe I have against haswell.

Plus if you're doing any video editing, broadwell is bringing some nice improvements in this area.

9. marlon bishop macrumors member

If you can buy it now!

10. 2IS macrumors 68030

If you NEED a computer NOW, you wouldn't be asking this question.

11. bluush macrumors 6502

I agree. Plus, I can't shake the feeling that in 12-15 months the rmbp will get a chassis redesign (dramatically thinner, screen-to-bezel, etc). Sure we buy these computers for our needs but there's also an element of visual aesthetic and appeal, endless threads of physical anomalies, what's sexy or ugly in the design, amateur renderings, etc. For many people, whether they will admit to it or not, it's a bitter pill to swallow paying 2500 for a top of the line computer only to have a thinner/better looking computer come out right afterwards. Apple's had this current design for a bit, it seems like an overhaul is overdue and with either Broadwell or Skylake it seems inevitable we'll get that overhaul. But if you truly have no care about any of this and just "need" (truly need, not "really want" but "truly need") then yeah I suppose you could buy haswell.

12. Xeridionix macrumors regular

As others have mentioned, if you need a computer now then buy one now. Technology is essentially outdated when you buy it anyway and there's always something newer coming down the pipe. Just because a new model comes out after you purchase yours does not make your computer old or useless, it's just human nature to always want to have the latest and greatest.

I can personally attest to this as well. I love living on the bleeding edge of technology and love having the latest hardware, but that being said I purchased a 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro as I needed a computer at that moment and couldn't really wait for something newer to come along. In addition I didn't want to drop a ton of money on a Retina model to get the storage space that I need since even 256 GB isn't enough (and managing external disks isn't something I really enjoy doing). I picked up a 1 TB hard disk drive and 16 GB of RAM for it and I know that I'll be able to get years of service out of it.

Best of luck with your decision, and have a great day.