Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5coobydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
I currently own the Mid-2012 model Macbook Pro. It was beautiful at the beginning but lately has been getting slow on me, although I still love it.
^ACTUALLY A 2010 MODEL I'M PRETTY SURE
Would it be in my best interest to sell my current 2012 model, add about 700-900 more and get a new 2015 model?

Or would I be better off adding a couple sticks of ram and some extra storage space?

Last edited:

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Do you have the 13" non-retina MBP? If you like the retina screen, the slim and lightweight form factor of the current model, Apple's new Force Touch trackpad, and don't mind dropping 700-900, you should go for it. The 2015 model is a huge step up.

If none of the above are appealing, 8 GB of RAM and an SSD in the capacity of your choosing should serve you really well. These two upgrades should fix all your lag issues unless you are using software that is CPU- or GPU-intensive.

5coobydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Do you have the 13" non-retina MBP? If you like the retina screen, the slim and lightweight form factor of the current model, Apple's new Force Touch trackpad, and don't mind dropping 700-900, you should go for it. The 2015 model is a huge step up.

If none of the above are appealing, 8 GB of RAM and an SSD in the capacity of your choosing should serve you really well. These two upgrades should fix all your lag issues unless you are using software that is CPU- or GPU-intensive.

ALSO JUST WANT TO POINT OUT, it might be a 2010 model, not a 2012 model that I have.
I don't have to much of a care for the "retina" screen, which next year will again, be replaced by a slightly better screen. Nor do I care about less than a pound or two of weight at this point.
I went out and tried the new trackpad... Simply put, I didn't even know it was "new" technology".

Just need something that can keep up with my typing, I'll be done typing google,and my computer will only have "goog" in the search bar, then the "le" come after a second. Something that can play 1080p youtube videos without any lag? (yeah it lags at 1080 sometimes, again I don't really care for 4k.)

I'm not some serious gamer or computer programer. However I do like to fiddle around every once in a while. Otherwise, school, and personal use/ browser/ watching movies.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Exchange your hdd for an ssd.

Reset pram and repair disk permissions.

Backup and perform a new OS install.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I don't have to much of a care for the "retina" screen, which next year will again, be replaced by a slightly better screen. Nor do I care about less than a pound or two of weight at this point.
I went out and tried the new trackpad... Simply put, I didn't even know it was "new" technology".

Just need something that can keep up with my typing, I'll be done typing google,and my computer will only have "goog" in the search bar, then the "le" come after a second. Something that can play 1080p youtube videos without any lag? (yeah it lags at 1080 sometimes, again I don't really care for 4k.)

I'm not some serious gamer or computer programer. However I do like to fiddle around every once in a while. Otherwise, school, and personal use/ browser/ watching movies.

In that case, I think RAM and SSD upgrades would be great. Here's a couple of my personal recommendations:
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-4GBx2-DDR3-1600-CT2KIT51264BF160B/dp/B005LDLVAO
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U

EDIT: Just saw your edit. If yours is a 2010, this RAM will not work.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
What you are describing there is not hardware related.

Perform the steps I described above and check your internet connection!

Are you using wifi? In the router menu, check the frequency channels and see if there are other radio sources on these channels. Switch to the channel with the least other sources/interferences.
Also try connecting via ethernet and check your overall network speed.

Also try creating another user account and see if the problems persists.
The lag with google is likely caused by sending info over the net and receiving search suggestions. Again this is not hardware related.

The 2012 mbp is still sold and an excellent machine.
Buying a new one for the reasons you described is plain crazy.

----------

With the usage the OP is describing, it is pretty much impossible that he is low on ram. A quick glance at his activity monitor will prove me right. An ssd is always a good idea, but there seem to be other software issues involved.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
With the usage the OP is describing, it is pretty much impossible that he is low on ram. A quick glance at his activity monitor will prove me right. An ssd is always a good idea, but there seem to be other software issues involved.

In my opinion, a brief description of lag while typing in a browser and lag during 1080p YouTube videos isn't enough to invalidate RAM as a possible problem. It could be that he has several tabs open and other apps open while trying to type or watch these videos. But yes, I agree that an activity monitor screenshot would clear this up.

Last edited:

5coobydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
In my opinion, a brief description of lag while typing in a browser and lag during 1080p YouTube videos isn't enough to invalidate RAM as a possible problem. It could be that he has several tabs open and other apps open while trying to type or watch these videos. But yes, I agree that an activity monitor screenshot would clear this up.

Well I am a "multi-tab" browser.. tab 1 (hotmail), 2 youtube, 3 google, 4,5,6,7, all google relevent pages I click through, then close after reading so I hit my main google page again. iTunes almost always running in the back (and I have a HUGE 10k+ track library).
I can get you an activity monitor screen, (if you can tell me where I pull that up from lol :p).

Meister, appreciate your input. I won't be buying a new laptop, that would be a waste, you're right! Now to figure out, update and maintainance.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Well I am a "multi-tab" browser.. tab 1 (hotmail), 2 youtube, 3 google, 4,5,6,7, all google relevent pages I click through, then close after reading so I hit my main google page again. iTunes almost always running in the back (and I have a HUGE 10k+ track library).
I can get you an activity monitor screen, (if you can tell me where I pull that up from lol :p).

Meister, appreciate your input. I won't be buying a new laptop, that would be a waste, you're right! Now to figure out, update and maintainance.

The Activity Monitor app is in the Utilities folder. Then click on Memory tab.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013

Take a screenshot (Command + Shift + 4) of cpu and memory graphs during your regular workload, especially when your macbook is lagging. Then post the screenshot on here.

As a general rule of thumb:
Mavericks and Yosemite perform poorly on machines with hdds.
You can either downgrade to snow leopard or buy an ssd.

Also use safari instead of chrome if you can. Safari performs amazingly on ssd machines with Yosemite.

5coobydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
This is what I am currently doing/using. This is more of a friday/saturday night usage, a little more than what my "average" usage would reflect. (streaming tv, searching the web, etc).
Again appreciate all the help and messages - thanks guys!
edit: only use Chrome for School websites/pages (since some don't open in Safari).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 9.20.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 9.20.59 PM.png
    275.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 9.22.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 9.22.51 PM.png
    305.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
This is what I am currently doing/using. This is more of a friday/saturday night usage, a little more than what my "average" usage would reflect. (streaming tv, searching the web, etc).
Again appreciate all the help and messages - thanks guys!
Both cpu and memory pressure is moderately high, but still completely fine.
Stay away from chrome and follow the troubleshooting steps I have explained above.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

5coobydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
So changing my HDD to a SSD will help my CPU?

Just last thoguhts prior to purchase
I found a crucial bx100 1tb for $375 locally, brand new in box, from someone. Upgrading to this should greatly help my speed? (...it's almost $400!).

:apple:rules.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
So it will help though? Or just give me more space?
with space I assume you mean storage.
the purpose of swapping your ancient hdd for an ssd is not to gain more storage.
ssds are faster, but more expensive. I don't know how much storage you need, but according to your described computing needs I assumed that 128gb or 256gb should work just fine.

hdds still have their purpose for cheap mass storage. running your apps and OS from one is not advisable.

5coobydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
On my current mac, I am sitting a 230gb used of 250gb (20gb free). So I was considering just taking a step up to the 500gb, but price wise not too far away from the 1tb, so I figured why not just go all the way.
So what do I do to get my mac running faster, like when I first bought it? I mean it's good right now, but I want it to be better!

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
How about closing applications when you are done with them.

Do you need Kodi , iTunes and Word open at the same time for example?

Kodi was using a lot of CPU.

5coobydoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
How about closing applications when you are done with them.

Do you need Kodi , iTunes and Word open at the same time for example?

Kodi was using a lot of CPU.

Says the guy with 16gb ram and a tb of storage ;).
However you pose a good point.

I'm just debating since I have the option to get something right now; I mean I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run no? Other than the memory, there is nothing wrong with this baby and I hope to use her for many years to come! (I have taken well care of her :))
^Or should I just keep my 70gb of music, get rid of all other junk (maybe put it onto an external) and just reinstall OS?

Otherwise I was thinking about spending this money on my car maybe, upgrade speakers or deck or something? Hmm this is hard!

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Otherwise I was thinking about spending this money on my car maybe, upgrade speakers or deck or something? Hmm this is hard!

First world problems eh? :D
Get a 500GB SSD and upgrade to 8GB of RAM and call it a day.

$174 for a 500GB Samsung 850

Newegg has the Samsung 850 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/AM) for $190 - $20 off with coupon code MBL150408 in cart + $4 shipping = $174 shipped. Sequential read speed of 540 MB/s and sequential write speed of 520 MB/s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...p=&AID=10446076&PID=404255&SID=421613_desktop

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Says the guy with 16gb ram and a tb of storage ;).
However you pose a good point.

I'm just debating since I have the option to get something right now; I mean I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run no? Other than the memory, there is nothing wrong with this baby and I hope to use her for many years to come! (I have taken well care of her :))
^Or should I just keep my 70gb of music, get rid of all other junk (maybe put it onto an external) and just reinstall OS?

I say go for the 8 GB of RAM and the SSD that z31fanatic posted, too. That's an great deal on an 850 EVO. Neither upgrade will hurt you, and if you intend to use your MBP for a while, you'll appreciate the extra RAM and a quick SSD.

Or throw your junk on an external and get a 250 GB SSD and get MBP upgrades and car upgrades. :D What do you drive?

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
> and just reinstall OS?
Considering you can do this for free, why not. The lag you describe is not normal. Hardware doesn't slow down over time; software does.

Actually, before a reinstall the first thing I would try is deleting your Safari cache. You probably have years of cookies, history, and temp files. Go to your desktop, hold down the option key, go up to the "Go" menu and open Library. (note Library only appears when you hold the option key.) In there go to Caches -> com.apple.Safari. Delete Cache.db, fsCachedData folder and Webpage Previews folder. On one of my older machine the Website Previews folder had thousands of files; just deleting that fixed Safari from being nearly unusable. Beyond that you can also try resetting Safari.

An SSD will certainly improve your machine, but there is no reason it can't perform as new as it sits now with a clean install (unless the hard drive is actually dying.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.