Need confirmation on this SSD...

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
Not quite I understand the last part of your post.
My question is will it work if installed using a PCIe adapter card similar to say my Kington HyperX predator?.
Maybe a card such as this?
https://www.amazon.com/Lycom-DT-120-PCIe-Adapter-Support/dp/B00MYCQP38
M2 format has 3 types of cards.

1. SATA = it's just a SATA disk in a different format. Same characteristics as a SATA drive, can be converted to the same format as SATA 2.5" drives using adaptors.
  2. PCIe AHCI = it's a real PCIe SSD that uses PCIe 2x or 4x with AHCI protocol. The simplest one to use in a MP.
  3. PCIe NVMe = it's a real PCIe SSD that uses PCIe 2x or 4x with NVMe protocol.
Any M2 SATA SSD will need an adaptor and a cable, usually you buy a card that gets power from the PCIe slot and has a connector to plug a SATA cable to the SATA ODD ports on the backplane. It's a bad choice for a Mac Pro since you will loose one PCIe slot and one ODD drive bay to use a slow drive.

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Aussie in Japan
jbarley

tsialex is 100% correct but this post #207 https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-0-ssd-performance-for-the-cmp.2124253/page-9 might also help you undertstand the differences in M.2 blade.

There are quite a few "2 BLADE " M.2 adapters out there that support either ONE ( now bootable in High Sierra ) NVMe or AHCI blade. . . .or // / ONE SATA M.2 SSD blade .. = they require a SATA cable to your cMP's SATA DATA PORT.

Look at the socket connectors in the above post.

You'll soon understand.

jbarley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
M2 format has 3 types of cards.

1. SATA = it's just a SATA disk in a different format. Same characteristics as a SATA drive, can be converted to the same format as SATA 2.5" drives using adaptors.
  2. PCIe AHCI = it's a real PCIe SSD that uses PCIe 2x or 4x with AHCI protocol. The simplest one to use in a MP.
  3. PCIe NVMe = it's a real PCIe SSD that uses PCIe 2x or 4x with NVMe protocol.
Any M2 SATA SSD will need a adaptor and a cable, usually you buy a card that gets power from the PCIe slot and has a connector to plug a SATA cable to the SATA ODD ports on the backplane. It's a bad choice for a Mac Pro since you will loose one PCIe slot and one ODD drive bay to use a slow drive.
Thank you for the explanation, now this explains the low price which I sorta felt might be too good to be true.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.