Need confirmation!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin00, Jun 9, 2015.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

Hi guys, just going to reinstall OS X but just want to make sure all my purchased iTunes songs can be re downloaded from the cloud or iTunes?

Everything else is ok and backed up but interested in all my purchased songs :)

Thanks, oh and how long does it roughly take to do?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unlike apps your music isn't re-downloaded. you need to back them up before reinstalling OS X.

3. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

Thanks. Can I do it to the cloud or dropbox or does it have to be a hard drive etc?

Then is it a case of dragging the whole folder to the ex hdd??

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi,

How long it would take would depend on a few factors, mainly how many GB of music that you have, and the interface of your external (USB 2.0, USB 3.0, FW400, FW800, etc). Which are you using?

If you have added any of that music in any other manner other than purchasing a download off of the iTunes Store then it needs to be backed up. Other albums or songs that have been purchased should be under the "Purchases" tab when you sign in with your Apple ID, although I would just back up everything.

Hope this helps.

5. jamin00, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

The only music in my iTunes is purchased from iTunes.

Im now sending it to my Dropbox, its 118gb but I have decent internet and its saying 6 mins so not bad at all.

Now says 11hrs!!!

6. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

You can re-download music, tv programmes, movies etc. However this assumes that the purchased content is still in iTunes. It is only if the content is still available that you can re-download which is why Apple says to backup.
    Simply go into your purchased section and select to download what is not in your Library.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Really!? I downloaded purchased (2012, AFAIR) iTunes music last year on my new Mac mini and i needed only iTunes and my Apple/Developer ID.