need consensus: returning iphone (heat issues, etc)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guruji, Apr 5, 2008.

1. guruji macrumors member

whenever i browse for about 1 hour or so (about 40 mins...) the phone gets too hot....

it is only 5th day and i am getting disappointed.... already with this phone.

i want to return this device. to buy a better one few months later. i did not know a new version is coming when i got this few days back.

i need consensus of the enthusiasts as an expert opinion.

i am guessing with 3G will come several apps, which 'will be' available for 2.5g but not much usable for the lack of speed (on 2.5G).

plus, possibly a stereo speaker, and better heat dissipation.

plus, i am expecting a price cut for 8gb at least.

opinion?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All rumors point to a new model but they are rumors and you could be disappointed. Take your phone back and buy some cheap POS and wait for the next great thing in technology. Eventually you'll catch up.

To break it down...
    3G does not mean new apps.
    New apps doesn't mean 3G.
    3G + new apps doesn't mean less heat.
    New models doesn't mean less heat.
    I am not sure my iPhone has ever gotten hotter while talking for hours on end than any other phone I've owned.

3. jk111 macrumors regular

Did you know that a phone has working parts in it? It should get a little warm. Don't worry.

4. DataThief macrumors member

Also your holding it in your hand, right?. You are also heating it up.

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

what is said above is correct

the reason apple did not design around this particular issue is...why are you consistantly browsing on your iPhone for an hour at a time:confused:

i can only assume you have a tremendous commute in which you don't listen to music or watch movies, or that you don't have first choice at the only internet connection in your house

6. danb150 macrumors newbie

No worries. You will be selling that piece soon to buy the new and improved 3g iphone. I recommend craigslist fast.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If they keep 8GB, then I forsee a price cut, but only if they introduce 32GB. If it's still 8GB and 16GB, it will stay at the current prices, but if it's 8GB ($299), 16GB ($499) and 32GB ($599) then the price should drop. That's what seems logical, but only Apple knows what Apple is going to do.

I believe an update will surely come by the end of this year (or January 2009 at the absolute latest, imo), but if there is an update in June, it could just be 3G. Or 3G + memory. Or it could be 3G plus hardware updates (e.g. 5MP camera, etc.). 3G could come in June, and hardware updates could come in August, October, January, who knows?

No one knows for sure what the coming months will bring, we can only speculate. There are several sources that say 3G is coming in June, but there is nothing "new" mentioned aside from 3G... so I dunno.

8. hamproof macrumors newbie

Based on the current pricing scheme, wouldn't it be $299, $399 and $499 respectively for the 8/16/32GB assuming all 3 models exists? Of course it is all speculation, but I suspect Apple will only offer 2 models of the 3G. They like things simple.

So, it'll either be 8/16 OR 16/32.

My guess is the Edge version will be cleared out with 8/16 selling for $299/$349

and then the 3G 16/32 selling for $499/$599 and coming down to $399/$499 when all EDGE ones are sold out.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Because using GRPS (or 3G) does get hot when it's used a lot. They use a lot of power and that disappates outside of the case.

Any mobile device does that if you're using a lot of mobile data, unless it's such a huge brick you don't notice it.

Phazer

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd be (pleasantly) shocked if the next iPhone operated at lower temps than this one. The reality is almost certainly that 3G is going to result in even more power consumption, if only moderately, even after it is optimized. It'll probably be compensated for by a slightly bigger battery, but the net result is that there's probably going to be more heat needing to be dissipated alongside that larger power consumption.

As for the 3G iPhone, sure, it's likely to be great when it comes out. It sounds like you're not happy (and about things you can't fix), and you don't particularly need it now. So sure, return it if you wish. But do some research, for your own good, before getting a 3G one in a few months (assuming the rumors are true) ... so that you don't just end up coming back in July or August with a similar thread...

Also as the iPhone has an Aluminum exterior, you probably notice the heat somewhat more than if it were plastic, like most phones....

11. guruji thread starter macrumors member

rationale...

thanks for all the input. I am thinking...

first and foremost: lets think in our minds this is like a mini-Mac in your hands, which has a phone in it. Now,

Apple could not put some apps on this phone due to lack of network speed. As with PCs, new and improved apps need more power, which comes by upgrading H/w:

1. So, with 3G, some apps are definitely going to get face-lift like weather, youtube-rendering, stocks-listing (with options). New speed dependent apps like Enterprise e-mail integration , outlook integrated Todo (w/ schedule...), GPS (http://newsnow.att.com/newsnow/att_...7&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ATT_Navigator) will be introduced. Edge users (iphone ver.1) will not be able to use these apps 'effectively' (as wifi is not present everywhere)

2. Non-speed dependent apps and bug fixes are no issue. Apple is selling a computer on this device and will support it for at least 5/6 yrs.(generous life of iphone) with s/w upgrades. but do you want to have a $400 mp3 player which does not even have stereo speaker?

we have to think inspite of buying a 'perfect' computer, why do we have to go back to the store every few yrs, looking for a new one to get the (same) job done?...

Therefore, although i made a mistake by buying the ver1 (i did not know about this website before :( ), 3G is just a piece of puzzle called ver.2.

In version 2 [if SJ is really 'some guy'], we will have: A more powerful processor, improved chipset design, stereo speakers, improved camera, more resolution on screen, improved efficiency, new GPS H/w, better heat dissipation, more RAM (for some) all these things under the hood will make ver.2. a real improvement. i.e. if it has all of these. If he decides to milk the market by introducing the H/w upgrades in bits and pieces, he will loose within 18 months from now. market is catching up very fast (http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/9164.html). Just the same way it lost to MS on desktop.

Another clever thing for him to do would be tighter integration between iphone apps passing information (not iphone and Mc) and to use phone as USB device from my PC, for God sake.

someday intel will be making processors for these devices....

12. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

The only time my iPhone even gets warm is while charging. Sounds like you got a defective one.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

return the iPhone to the Apple Store, step away from the counter, and back your silly-%$@ out the door. You don't deserve an iPhone! LOL You can't handle the TRUTH! (In my expert opinion). :cool:

14. igglepuff macrumors regular

While i do believe some things may get a face lift (though this will be overall i think, not just on a 3g ones - itll be for software v2 release i'd think. The enterprise stuff is on both versions we everyone knows with the new software, will just be sluggish to an extent on edge. many things mentioned i don't think well see. ..the higher res screen - i know there's a devive out with it now, but it's not very good, imo. the things like GPS im not sure we would see in it either, but who knows until release day. More memory (ram, maybe storage) i can see coming, maybe even higher res camera.

i've had a v1 for a few months and if a 3g comes out, i will most likely be pickign it up a month or so later (once my phoen people release the new data packages to make it worth it for me..).

can't want to see :)