Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shellyfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
My iphone 5 went through a full wash cycle 2 nights ago. I did the rice thing, and tonight when I went to try it, I can't even get the lightning connector to go in the slot. I don't see anything obvious blocking it, but it will not go in no matter how I try. Anyway, the little dot is pink, I can't turn it on or connect it and it's toast.

The problem now is, I can't get a genius bar appointment until Dec 24th and I can't go that day so it would be the Dec 26th before I can get a replacement. I've been without a phone for 2 days and I can't wait another 5 days. Can I get an out of warranty replacement at an AT&T store or Best Buy or somewhere else? If not, can I get one at the Apple Store without a Genius Bar appointment?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My iphone 5 went through a full wash cycle 2 nights ago. I did the rice thing, and tonight when I went to try it, I can't even get the lightning connector to go in the slot. I don't see anything obvious blocking it, but it will not go in no matter how I try. Anyway, the little dot is pink, I can't turn it on or connect it and it's toast.

The problem now is, I can't get a genius bar appointment until Dec 24th and I can't go that day so it would be the Dec 26th before I can get a replacement. I've been without a phone for 2 days and I can't wait another 5 days. Can I get an out of warranty replacement at an AT&T store or Best Buy or somewhere else? If not, can I get one at the Apple Store without a Genius Bar appointment?

You can try going to the Apple Store - they will try to squeeze you in but you may be a) disappointed (especially this close to Christmas) or b) in for a long wait.

If you phone AppleCare they can do an express replacement over the phone - which you should get Monday, but it costs ~$30 extra for the courier.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Not to mention the full unsubsidized amount being held on a credit card (if you don't send your phone first).

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Don't go without an apt. Waste of time. Can't get the replacement phone anywhere but apple store or apple via phone. $29 shipping charge, full retail amount put on hold on your CC. Shipping time maybe as late as Dec 26th with all the shipping traffic.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
It sounds like you did more than just water damage... Probably some physical damage to, if your connector won't insert.

Being without a phone sucks, but I'd save the $30 and just be patient. Chances are you wouldn't get your replacement (if you called) until after Christmas anyways.

Shellyfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
I agree that there must be physical damage, probably the spin cycle. The strange thing is, I look in there and it looks normal so I don't know what's blocking the connector.

Well, I don't like my options, but at least I know what they are now. Thanks for the help.

Shellyfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Just to update - I took a chance and went to the Apple Store tonight at about 8:20. I only waited about 20 minutes as the end of the day appointments finished up and someone saw me. After he opened it up he said that it short circuited. He gave me a new phone for $49 as if I had purchased Apple Care on the original phone and then charged me $99 for Apple Care, so I walked out with a new 64 GB phone and 2 years of Apple Care for $148 + tax. I'm pretty happy with that.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Hey ;

I had the same problem and believe it or not I solved it this way.I took some time but finally it start working.Also my friend has 3GS and he did the same it suddenly his one start working also :)

1051ouc.jpg

LuckiestMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Don't fret! There may be hope for your machine-washed iphone!!

I ran my iphone 4 thru a complete washing machine cycle (cold thankfully) and naturally it didn't turn on when I pulled it out. I tried a couple times but it didn't work. That was probably a good thing.

Put it in a bowl of dry rice for 4 days, then dismantled it using these instructions http://www.techrestore.com/iphone4video/ .... and this chart for keeping track of the screws (very important) http://www.techrestore.com/downloads...crew-chart.pdf

Then I put a hair dryer on each component for about 5 minutes each, including the battery; back in the dry rice bowl for 1 more day and then reassembled. Pulled out my wife's battery and put it in my phone and low and behold - it worked!! No worse for wear. Put my battery back in, didn't work at first, but then I plugged it in to a charger and now it's working perfectly. Drying it out in the dry Colorado climate probably helped, but surely it's not the deciding factor.

Can't believe it, but it's awesome. Spent no $, just about 3 hrs of my time.
Hope this helps somebody!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.