Need DVD drive lens cleaner for MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by svdragonfy2, Jan 26, 2010.

1. svdragonfy2 macrumors newbie

I've recently have had problems with the slot loading DVD drives in my IMac Intel Duo & my wife's MacBook. They both were ejecting blank DVD's. I checked with Maxell tech support who purport to make an excellent DVD lens cleaner but they don't recommend using it in Apple slot loading DVD drives because it might dislodge or loosen the lens.
    I blew out my iMac drive with canned air & now it seems to work 90% of the time.
    Does anyone Know of a DVD lens cleaner that can be safely used in a MacBook?
    Apparently the MacBook is more critical than the iMac because it uses an ultra thin 9.5mm drive.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, I successfully used an older Maxell lens cleaner of the "brush on surface" variety on my MBP's optical drive when it stopped reading anything at all. However, this is a 1st gen 17", which may not have an ultra-thin drive like yours, and in my case it was out of warranty and I thought it might have been broken rather than just dirty, so I figured I wasn't out anything if the brush damaged the drive.

That said, in looking for what particular version I have (didn't find it, but they probably changed the packaging) I ran across this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-BR-LC-Blu-ray-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00178HN0O

...which claims to clean without any physical contact by making an "air brush" via holes in the disc. Not sure if it's going to clean as well as a brush-based disc, but based on the description it's not any thicker than a normal disc so it should be safe in any drive.

It's labeled for blu-ray, but the description says it works on DVD players, too. Also mentions PS3 specifically, which is a slot load drive (albeit not an ultra-thin one, I assume).