Need easiest cell phone to tether to a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikeshep, Jul 18, 2010.

1. mikeshep macrumors newbie

Hi, I need to tether a Macbook running OSX 10.4, to send real-time audio to radio/tv station clients.

I have Sprint SERO plan with an old Sanyo 9000 phone. SprintUsers
    forums suggested HTC TP2 as the simplest to use with a Mac.

I got it and don't like it. -Too Windows-Like and alot complication to set up. to tether Mac with usb cable vs. BT. Will Blackberry be much easier?

I don't care about touchscreen - mainly ease of connectivity and set-up with least learning-curve required. Something more like a smartphone than an older handset style would be nice.

Any advice what model? especially a used one that'd run on EV-DO.RevA speed and get the same connect speed as a Touch Pro/WinMo?

Must stay with SPrint for right now... Anyone have suggestion of a solid Mac-friendly choice that I will not need to do any internal software tweaking with to 'make it work' with a Mac? I gotta believe something out there exists.

Thanks!

Mike

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd think the easiest option would be something that has a "wifi hotspot" sort of feature, like the HTC Evo 4G. You don't have to do any setup on the Mac -- just turn it on, on the HTC, and then join the wifi network it creates. Also you can get 4G speeds if/when you are in Sprint 4G coverage.

3. mikeshep thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, i forgot to mention a couple of things. Due to a certain software app I need for real-time IP audio transmission, I need something that can do direct USB-tethering vs the Router/Network type connection. I.e., the app needs to get a "Public IP" similar to that of what a laptop data-connect card provides...
    whereas routers create a Port-Mapping situation which confuses the software.

Sorry i didn't note that. Also as of right now it looks like i'm not going to get a 4G phone on Sprint's SERO plan as they are trying to burn off Legacy users by not offering the full array of "newer" phones - so i guess i need to be looking for something a little older - yet still easy Mac-compatibility and EVDO.Rev.A speed with usb-tether capability. That said, any other models come to mind?

Thanks!

Mike