Need Element Case screws, they are at Ace Hardware

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Sheldonsmith, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Sheldonsmith macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

I found that the black screws on my iPhone Sector 5 case scratched easily, but I found replacement screws at the local Ace Hardware store.

They are size 080 miniature machine cap screws at 1/4" long. The box holding them indicates 080 x 1/4

These screws seem to stay black longer.

Cheers,

Sheldon

2. trdspectacoma macrumors regular

hey sheldon,
    could you post pictures, I shall go look for them!!
    Thanks

3. Sheldonsmith thread starter macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

I'll see if I can stop by an Ace Hardware store in the next few days and take some Picts.

4. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

5. swervinsuburban macrumors regular

That's good to know as the screws on the black case are silver and now I can replace with black thanks

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

7. Sheldonsmith thread starter macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

080 x 1/4 Element Case Screw Picts

Here are some iPhone images of the 080 screws and what the container looks like at Ace.

Sorry for the blurriness; still figuring out KitCam downloaded yesterday.

-Sheldon

Attached Files:

8. trdspectacoma macrumors regular

Thanks, we have a problem of rusting in hawaii so, Ill pass and look for some ti or stainless steel. half of them at ace was already rusted.

9. trdspectacoma macrumors regular

10. bloodninj4 macrumors member

wow that was quick good looks partridge

are some of you switching to these ti screws to change color or because of the rust issue?

11. Partridge macrumors 6502

I don't think anybody has switched yet.

Ti screws aren't going to look any different than plain stainless screws really, unless you have the ability to anodize them. I'm considering doing it, but you can't get titanium black without using a DLC coating or paint, so the closest it'll get is a bronze.

I'm sure some people will go for the crazy rainbow colors though, but at $12 for just the screws plus the labor to color them... That and the $1.59 is for quantity 500 min order...

12. swervinsuburban macrumors regular

Does anybody know if these are the exact same screws length and everything?

13. Sheldonsmith thread starter macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

Yes exactly the same specs (I would not have shared otherwise), but the screws are finished different. The element screws have a black coating that scrapes/rubs off. The ACE screws are covered in black oxide that seems less resistant to scraping off.

14. Gonz19 macrumors regular

Great find. Picked some up yesterday. These seem to be a bit more durable and less likely to fade. And they are the exact same length. If you have any pro cases the screws are the same as well. Tried the stainless on the FE to see if they would fit and how they would look.

15. Sheldonsmith, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

Sheldonsmith thread starter macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

16. Partridge macrumors 6502

Yeah. Now all we need is somebody willing to put in an $800 min order on those. ;). Not. Me.

17. Roadking macrumors 6502

I have checked a Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, Fastenal and 2 Ace Hardwares with no luck.

What part of the US are you finding them at Ace? The Ace Hardware I visited suggested that I order online and have it shipped to the store. Only problem is that it isn't coming up on their website. When I called customer service they said there was nothing they could do.

18. Sheldonsmith thread starter macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

Miners Hardware, Central California Coast. They are an ACE hardware retailer....

Hope this helps,

Sheldon

19. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

20. Roadking macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info... I am all the way on the other coast. I found a retailer on Amazon that sells them in a pack of 15. I may just go that route. Shipping is just over $5 making a total of $11+. Just wondering if I should just paint them black...

21. zentrani macrumors newbie

Provide link? I cannot find anything in canada (Toronto)... Went to home depot. Going to try a store next weekend cause thats the only hours I can get there due to work.

Home depot don't have the sizes, neither does defasco. Damn it.