Need emergency help! (DP4 Install Gone Wrong)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by A Macbook Pro, Jun 24, 2011.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

I decided to use my developer account to download DP4 of Lion. I downloaded it and decided to install it over Snow Leopard expecting it to work well since its fairly far into development. It went into the installer after restarting and soon after said installation failed. The SL partition has been turned into an OS X install partition I can't get past. I ran disk utility through there and the disk needs repairing, however whenever I boot into my SL disk the iMac brings up the message that it needs to be restarted. What do I do?

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Call Apple? I am not being facetious, I just have no experience with the problem you are having. Good luck - I wish I could be of more help.

3. garethlewis2 macrumors 6502

Had this same problem. There is an option to choose the startup disk, and revert it back to Snow Leopard.

As to what's happened. It's easy.

The WiFi driver in DP4 is rubbish. DP2 has a perfectly acceptable version of the WiFi driver, but Apple decided to replace it in DP4. Some people can install Lion and use WiFi a lot can't. To get Lion installed you have to run the installer from Snow Leopard, reboot into single user mode, delete the kernel extension representing the the WiFi driver and reboot. Lion will then install, but you have no WiFi.

I couldn't be bothered so I switched back to SL. Hopefully they will have this issue fixed with another DP or the GM.

If you want to find out about the WiFi not working, do a Google search on Lion DP4 and WiFi. It has irritated quite a few developers.

4. Bear macrumors G3

You should also check on the APple Developer Forums.

As a side note, this would've fit better in the Lion forum instead of the iMac Forum.

You do have a backup of your data right? Go back to your Snow Leopard installation DVD and see if you can fix things from there. If not, wipe the disk and reinstall 10.6 and recover from your backup.

5. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, you solved my problem!

And Bear, I accidentally posted this in here so I then posted it in the Lion forum but decided it would be a fast to just edit this out and ask a mod to delete it.