Need ethernet drivers

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
332
0
So as previously posted I installed the mac drivers cd but it always hangs at the registration part.
When checking my device manager, the drivers for the ethernet adapters and about 6 other items that are listed under "unkown" are not installed.
I tried burning another driver cd but same problem..
does anyone know how I can get those specific drivers for the ethernet adapter?
 

HunterPlatinum

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2006
36
0
Make that two of - us- I too need the drivers- am experiencing the same thing too- Anyone have any idea how to help?
 

HunterPlatinum

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2006
36
0
Khurram said:
So as previously posted I installed the mac drivers cd but it always hangs at the registration part.
When checking my device manager, the drivers for the ethernet adapters and about 6 other items that are listed under "unkown" are not installed.
I tried burning another driver cd but same problem..
does anyone know how I can get those specific drivers for the ethernet adapter?

did u install XP SP1 or XP SP2?
 

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
332
0
balamw said:
Look at some of the Vista threads. I believe you can extract the drivers by running the installer from the command line with a switch.



B
I"m running sp2,
unfortunatley I dont think I have enough computer knowledge to be able to extract drivers from installers if it involves code unless it's typed out for me.


thats' what my device manager looks like
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,863
0
Khurram said:
I"m running sp2,
unfortunatley I dont think I have enough computer knowledge to be able to extract drivers from installers if it involves code unless it's typed out for me.


thats' what my device manager looks like

with the mac driver cd in your drive, copy the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" from the cd to.. say your desktop

start-run, and then a little window shows up, drag the file you copied to the desktop into there, it will show something like
"C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USER_NAME?\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe"

take out the quotation marks, and add /A /v so it looks like
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USER_NAME>\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe /A /v

and press enter, it will look like it's installing, but it's really extracting the drivers... at one point, it will ask you where you want to install it or something, with default directory being c:\ or something, changed that to your C:\MacDriver, and let it continue do its thing

there you have your drivers extracted...

now go to your device manager window, right click on the ethernet device that has a ? by it, click update driver (or something) and you want to specify the location for the driver is in C:\MacDriver, and do want to check for subfolders...

(i don't have a PC accessible now, so my instructions might not be very clear... ask more questions if you get stuck)
 

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
332
0
bearbo said:
with the mac driver cd in your drive, copy the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" from the cd to.. say your desktop

start-run, and then a little window shows up, drag the file you copied to the desktop into there, it will show something like
"C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USER_NAME?\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe"

take out the quotation marks, and add /A /v so it looks like
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USER_NAME>\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe /A /v

and press enter, it will look like it's installing, but it's really extracting the drivers... at one point, it will ask you where you want to install it or something, with default directory being c:\ or something, changed that to your C:\MacDriver, and let it continue do its thing

there you have your drivers extracted...

now go to your device manager window, right click on the ethernet device that has a ? by it, click update driver (or something) and you want to specify the location for the driver is in C:\MacDriver, and do want to check for subfolders...

(i don't have a PC accessible now, so my instructions might not be very clear... ask more questions if you get stuck)
Thanks man! I'm at college right now but i'll try it out when I get home and post the results...
when you say start-run you mean go to the cmd screen right?
thanks again!
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,075
963
New England
Khurram said:
when you say start-run you mean go to the cmd screen right?
thanks again!
Nah he means click the "Start button" and then "Run" in the right hand column. It allows you to enter a single command line in that input box without opening CMD.EXE. You could definitely run the same command from the Command Prompt (CMD.EXE).

B
 

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
332
0
bearbo said:
with the mac driver cd in your drive, copy the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" from the cd to.. say your desktop

start-run, and then a little window shows up, drag the file you copied to the desktop into there, it will show something like
"C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USER_NAME?\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe"

take out the quotation marks, and add /A /v so it looks like
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USER_NAME>\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe /A /v

and press enter, it will look like it's installing, but it's really extracting the drivers... at one point, it will ask you where you want to install it or something, with default directory being c:\ or something, changed that to your C:\MacDriver, and let it continue do its thing

there you have your drivers extracted...

now go to your device manager window, right click on the ethernet device that has a ? by it, click update driver (or something) and you want to specify the location for the driver is in C:\MacDriver, and do want to check for subfolders...

(i don't have a PC accessible now, so my instructions might not be very clear... ask more questions if you get stuck)
I entered that command after copying the exe file to my desktop but it says cannot find file.
I put /A/v at the end of it and it didn't work. Said could not find file.

are there any spaces between /A/v or something?
I took out the quote marks, was I supposed to?
 

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
332
0
bearbo said:
with the mac driver cd in your drive, copy the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" from the cd to.. say your desktop

start-run, and then a little window shows up, drag the file you copied to the desktop into there, it will show something like
"C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USER_NAME?\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe"

take out the quotation marks, and add /A /v so it looks like
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USER_NAME>\Desktop\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe /A /v

and press enter, it will look like it's installing, but it's really extracting the drivers... at one point, it will ask you where you want to install it or something, with default directory being c:\ or something, changed that to your C:\MacDriver, and let it continue do its thing

there you have your drivers extracted...

now go to your device manager window, right click on the ethernet device that has a ? by it, click update driver (or something) and you want to specify the location for the driver is in C:\MacDriver, and do want to check for subfolders...

(i don't have a PC accessible now, so my instructions might not be very clear... ask more questions if you get stuck)
Ok so I extracted the files, but when I go to specify the location of the driver it does not let me select the C:\Macbook folder that I created for the drivers.
It says the location you specificed does not contain any device information files. Please enter another location.

Now what?
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,075
963
New England
Khurram said:
Ok so I extracted the files, but when I go to specify the location of the driver it does not let me select the C:\Macbook folder that I created for the drivers.
It says the location you specificed does not contain any device information files. Please enter another location.

Now what?
Drill down to the appropriate folders under C:\Macbook. The folders are named with the device they have drivers for. Find the ones where the .INF files live.

What did you do differently to get the files extracted?

Perhaps you could help HunterPlatinum who is struggling with the same issue.

B
 

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
332
0
Do you know which folder the ethernet drivers are perhaps I can go into it manually and run an installshield if it has it
 

HunterPlatinum

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2006
36
0
yeah do you know which file is specific for the ethernet driver.

i am 100% sure that my issues were because I have been using XP SP1, but even when i attempted to use a slipstreamed version of xp sp2 it would not even allow me to load the operating system- stated that i was missing tons of files required for install. So right now i am in a bind to find or borrow a XP SP2 version. untill then i cant do anything- and trying to find xp sp2 for download somewhere is like finding a needle in a stack of needles.
 

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
332
0
FINALLY!!
I manually went thru each folder and see if any of the drivers matched up and eventually found the wireless and ethernet driver and finally they are working!!!
Thanks a lot man...however
I still have
1 Usb human interface device with a ! by it
1 USB device with a ?! by it
1 PCI Device with the ?! by it
and 2 Uknown devices with the?! by it.

I got the soudn drivers working as well so it's not that..any idea what it might be?
I dont think I got the ISIGHT driver installed anywhere, do you know where it goes? there is no isight listed on my device manager...one is probably bluetooth but I cna't figure it out yet.
 

Khurram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
332
0
HunterPlatinum said:
do you rember which driver- the name of it was the one for ethernet?
I think it's either the folder called net5211 or one of the folders that starts with the letter e...not sure, try both..let me know