Need everyones help!! 700 for MacBook Pro core duo 1.83

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SMkdesigns, Oct 2, 2007.

1. SMkdesigns macrumors regular

Need your help i was going to buy a new imac becasue i cannnot afford a new macbook pro being 19 and a college student!! But i know a guy who is selling a Macbook pro intel core duo not core 2 duo but intel core duo 1.83 with 80gb hard drive he said for 700 or less..

Now he said there is a crack in the upper part of the screen.. so i am asked when he bought it and did he have applecare on it he said febuary last year! and i could add apple care on it and fix it i thought to myself!

Does apple care fix brokoen screens if its under a year old! Or is this not even a good deal i mean i could go buy a new imac!!!

But i would like the porability and i need a good graphics card for editing

Please tell me what you think and i will respond

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get the iMac. The LCD crack will probably be passed off as accidental damage.

3. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Apple is not going to fix a cracked screen. Apple Care covers everything except misuse and abuse and physical damage.

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Also, if the guy is selling it for $700, knowing the crack in the LCD is already there (which probably wouldn't be covered by Apple), there could be any number of things wrong with it in addition to the cracked LCD. I wouldn't risk it.

5. SMkdesigns thread starter macrumors regular

Yea i am just really wondering now should i get the imac or the macbook pro i love the new imacs and feel as if i would get so much more done on it! But i am 19 and i live with my parents and i am never home so i feel as if i should get a macbook pro but there like 1900 for base line with tax and only 128 detecated graphics

6. paulyras macrumors 6502

I would ask for the serial number of the MBP to check when it was made. I'm skeptical that it's less than a year old (and thus eligible for applecare). This macrumors article was the release of the core2duo MBPs. It was in Oct 2006. Unless it was bought as a refurb, it was likely Feb 2006.

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/10/24/apple-releases-core-2-duo-macbook-pro/

This page will allow you to enter the serial number and figure out when it was made...

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

If you ask for the system profiler report it will give you this and many other tidbits.

Hope this helps,

Paul

7. mashinhead macrumors 68020

that seems high especially with the crack. this model was on on apple's site as a refurb this morning for that price.