Need Excel Help. PLEASE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by titansfan, Jul 16, 2008.

1. titansfan macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,

Just got a MacBook Pro a few months back and love it. Before, I have always used a PC. To enter orders for my work, I need to use excel. I still put all of my orders in using my PC. I would love to begin using the mac book, but it seems that the functions that work on the PC version of Excel will not work on the Mac version. I have searched the help function, but it is pretty basic and not much help.

I have an order form in excel that I use and a parts list that is a seperate worksheet. On the PC I could write the formulas so that when I put in a sku it would list on the order the description and the price. Any advice would be helpful.

Here is an example of a formula from the PC version.

=VLOOKUP(D12,'C:Users\ERIC\Desktop\Cox Interior\[parts.xls]parts'!$A$2:$D$12000,2,FALSE)

Thanks in advance.

2. portent macrumors 6502a

The main problem is that you're using a Windows file path. There is no C: drive on a Mac, and we don't separate folders with backslashes.

I don't know offhand whether Excel 2008 uses Unix or Classic Mac file paths. Older versions used classic file paths [eg. 'Macintosh HD:Users:ERIC:Desktop:... where "Macintosh HD" is the name of your hard drive) but the newer version might use Unix paths (eg /Users/ERIC/Desktop/... )

Give those a try

3. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

I think that the base formula "=VLOOKUP()" works on mac!
    You see, the problem probably lies in the structure of the file directory that you're trying to look up with the formula.
    Your trying to get to the Windows directory in "C:Users\ERIC\Desktop\Cox Interior\[parts.xls]", that does not extist on your Macintosh HD!

Change your file path to a location on your Macintosh HD, e.g. "Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Desktop/Cox Interior/" or something similar and move your "parts.xls" to that exact same location too, than it should work.

4. obdave macrumors member

One other warning about Excel - for some reason, Microsoft in its infinite wisdom removed visual basic from Office 2008, so a bunch of my Excel macros broke. I ended up uninstalling Office 2008 and installing Office 2004, which corrected the problem.

5. titansfan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick responses

I appreciate all of the responses. When I get back to my computer tonight I will try to change to a mac friendy formula. I knew that there was no C drive, but I was lost on what to try.

Thanks again,
    Eric

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

FWIW, if you're interested in the decision-making process behind the removal of VBA from Office 2008, one of our developers documented it in exhaustive detail when we first announced it at WWDC 2006. Earlier this year, when we announced that we're bringing VBA back to the next version of Office, he blogged about that too.

In the interim, you can run Office 2008 and Office 2004 side-by-side. That way, for the times when you need to have access to your old VBA macros, you can fire up Office 2004; and when you need the new features of Office 2008, you can use it.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. Dinaall macrumors newbie

Excel 2008: graphics don't sort & info pastes into hidden cells

I have a huge problem with excel in office 2008:

when I sort, graphics inside a cell don't sort with their line. The graphics have been sized to fit completely into the cell and also the properties are selected correctly. What can I do?

In addition, when I hide a column, or use Auto filter, I can't copy/paste into multiple selected cells, as whatever I am pasting also pastes into the hidden cells which I don't want. Has anybody encountered this?

I have heard there is a "hot-fix" for the same problem with office for the pc, but I wasn't able to find something similar for office mac 2008