[need explanation] Effects of retina display?

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Can someone help me to explain deeper about retina display?

If I have an app that doesn't support retina display, so? what will be displayed?

Does it have negative sides?

Will it shows exactly the same display when I run an app that does not support retina eye on previous macbook pro compared with the new one?
I'm so confused about this :confused:

Thanks in advance.

I take it English isn't your first language?

Basically, all apps need to be updated to make use of the retina display. As far as I know it is a fairly simple thing to be accomplished. Until apps are updated (and I believe all the OS and all Apple apps have been updated, so this would only be 3rd party apps) they will look identical to existing monitors.

This is similar to what was accomplished on the iPhone and iPad transition to retina. All existing apps were "double pixeled" until updated to the new resolution.

So no decrease in quality at all

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I take it English isn't your first language?

Basically, all apps need to be updated to make use of the retina display. As far as I know it is a fairly simple thing to be accomplished. Until apps are updated (and I believe all the OS and all Apple apps have been updated, so this would only be 3rd party apps) they will look identical to existing monitors.

This is similar to what was accomplished on the iPhone and iPad transition to retina. All existing apps were "double pixeled" until updated to the new resolution.

So no decrease in quality at all
No, it isn't.. :)
Ah, that's the term I wanted to ask. What does 'double pixeled' really mean? Will it be displayed bigger?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
No, it isn't.. :)
Ah, that's the term I wanted to ask. What does 'double pixeled' really mean? Will it be displayed bigger?
Since the pixels are half the size as the old resolutions, pixel doubling means they appear visually the same size as on the old screens, but use twice as many of the smaller pixels to display them. They shouldn't look worse than they did before, they just won't benefit from the Retina display's additional quality.

(Technically the pixels are a quarter of the size and they're not pixel-doubling, but quadrupling, but it sounds better and can be considered correct, so they chose the word doubling because it's twice as large in each direction.)

jW