Need external HDD for Mac, PC, & Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utwarreng, Aug 24, 2009.

1. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but here it goes anyway.

With Snow Leopard coming out this Friday, I want to do a full computer wipe and fresh install. I'd like to get an external hard drive that I can use for my Macbook, Windows desktop, and also for my Xbox 360. I've looked for articles that talk about sharing them between Macs & PCs, but haven't found any that talked about using them for all three.

I've gathered that I need to do FAT32 formatting to make sure that the Mac can write to it, but are there any other things I need to do so that the Xbox can read it?

Also, any recommendations for what brand I should look for? I want something with a minimum of 1TB, and while I'd rather stay under $100, I could go up to the $125 range.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys are able to offer.

Edit: If it were something like the Iomega Screenplay Pro HD with HDMI out, that would be even better, as long as it still had capacity to be a regular hard drive as well.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. utwarreng thread starter macrumors 6502

utwarreng

USB2, but no firewire or external sata.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

So you are going to need something with two usb and one firewire cable. I'd recommend looking into something like a Western Digital MyBook Studio Mac Edition, that's probably a tad bit more then your budget.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

dont use FAT32, just use NTFS and install ntfs3g on the mac

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

He doesn't need FireWire.

OP, if you aren't copying large files (From you saying you want it to be formatted as FAT32, I'd guess nothing above 4GB since that's the most FAT32 can handle), and/or constantly copying files to/from the drive, then USB 2.0 will be fine.

I'd recommend the MyBook. One of these babies.

7. utwarreng thread starter macrumors 6502

utwarreng

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think one thing I miscommunicated though is that this likely won't be setup on a network. These don't all need to be plugged into the hard drive at the same time. It'll only be hooked into one system at a time. In the future I'll probably network it all together, but for now that won't be a concern. Just one device at a time.