Need extreme help please!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by maxpol, Dec 18, 2007.

1. maxpol macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a huge problem with my G4 quicksilver.

Here is the problem:
    My friend accidently unplugged my mac from the outlet while it was on. It didnt turn on since. When i pressed the power button, it would turn on and glow back off. I reset the PRAM and nothing happend. I read online, that you have to hold the PRAM reset for 10sec in order for it to work. I did that, now I put in a new battery.
    When I press power, the light turns on and illuminates back off. There is no light on the motherboard and the powersupply fan starts to spin up, and turns off immideatly.

I am in panic not knowing what to do.
    Any help appreciated....
    PLEASE AND THANK YOU

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Most likely you fried your power supply. And I hope that is the case, they aren't that expensive, although they are a bit of a pain to replace. Worst case, you burned out the mobo. I have no good news if that is the case....
    :eek:

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Solution is to reset the PMU. There is a button on the logic board you press.

4. maxpol thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried pressing that button, than i read on a site that you have to hold it for 10sec. I did that and now it does that.

5. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

sounds like the powersupply was fried, the same thing happened to one of my friends. however, it could also be the logic board, which would be a shame b/c you will be left to ebay to find one for a decent price. i would first try getting a new powersupply

6. maxpol thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I use any power supply with a P4 output or does it have to be apple specific?

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

are you comfortable repairing your own computer? swapping out a power supply is no easy job.

hacking an ATX supply can be done but you would need solder/schematic skills, and in the end, you can't use an ADC monitor or internal powered firewire devices. REALLY recommend finding an exact replacement on ebay or the parts dealers.

sorry for your pain/loss, best of luck!

8. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i would only buy an apple power supply from the same model powermac you have, either from craiglist or ebay. other powersupplies wont work unfortunately

http://www.welovemacs.com/6612514.html

tho the price is ridiculous, you can use this as a reference as you look for a better deal. good luck

9. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

FYI, the inside of a powermac is very cramped. be sure you have the correct screw drivers, as i think the power supply has several hex screws on the back of the case. it takes a lil bit to jimmy it out of its holster, but work slowly and gently. overall, not too hard, but still a bit of a pain in the ...

10. Blogger macrumors 6502

PMU and Pram reset are not the same thing. It's a bad idea to hold down the PMU button for ten seconds. You reset the parameter ram (PRAM) by holding down the Command, Option, P and R keys at start-up until you hear at least 2 start-up chimes. PMU is the Power Management Unit. Apple says specifically not to hold it down for more than a second or so, and to do so with a non conductive tool.

11. maxpol thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that on another site. So what might be the cause? Did I fry the power supply or the logic board?
    Plus, there is no light on the logic board.