Need fast advice about MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JackSpearo, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JackSpearo macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Pro about 5-6 years old (silver keyboard) and it randomly shuts off. Today I took it to the apple store in Spain ( I'm from USA but living in Spain ). And they connected it to an Ethernet cable and did some type of hardware test on it. Everything came back with a green check next to it, except for the very last ram looking picture. It came back with I think a yellow x on it.

The man said it was probably the logic board and they want 469€ ($608) to fix it. Here's the thing though, a few years ago, I installed a bigger hard drive and updated the ram. That was about 2-3 years ago and I've had no problems since. I should also say, that one time I dropped my computer and it landed on the power connector, which caused a little dent in the power connector, but the connector still charges and that was at least 3 years ago.

So the big question is, do you all think its the logic board? Or do you think it is something to do with a ram?

Would a faulty ram cause it just to turn off ? Or does that sound more like a logic board?

I love my computer and I really feel I don't need a new one (although I wish apple would come out with a MacBook Air 15" retina display, bluray player, with hdmi hook ups, ahhhh, I'll keep dreaming though).

Thanks in advance.

And the taxes to repair the computer will be 21%! Taxes in Spain are unbelievable!

Thanks guys and gals.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The RAM is 2-3 years old so I doubt it would fail after being used for that long. If the ram was going to fail, it would have done so a lot earlier.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

He didn't say what the indicated failure meant? It could be a VRAM failure, which would require a logic board replacement. Your computer is getting older, maybe it is affected by the nvidia 8600m GT issue?

You've basically described the 15" retina MBP. It has a slim form factor similar to the Air and HDMI, but it doesn't have blu ray(which I'm pretty sure isn't ever going to happen.)

4. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

He didn't say anything about the nvidia. Would that be under a warranty since they were faulty? Do you guys think 600$ is a fair price? You are right about the new MacBook pros, they are so nice. I just moved to Spain and bought a HDTV led samsung 46" and a dryer. So my funds are sorta strained.

And I have a question in general that maybe you could help me me with. I have a slingbox at home which allows me to access my cable anywhere in the world and watch all my channels back home. Which is wonderful. On my ipad 3, if I play it in standard definition, it's decent quality, if I switch to high quality, it is choppy. But if I use my MacBook Pro, I can easily view it on hd quality and it doesn't skip a beat. This tells me that the MacBook Pro, although mine is old, has a faster Internet card or something.

Do you guys think the brand new iPads with the thunderbolt have a faster Internet?

Also, I connect my ipad 3 to my HDTV using the 30 pin connection to hdmi connection and it works absolutely beautifully on purchased or rented HDTV iTunes movies. Perfect quality. But streaming on my slingplayer makes me mad. Is there anyway I can hook up my old MacBook Pro and get sound and picture on the HDTV?because I know the quality would be perfect since the Internet is faster (by the way, I have 100 Mbps fiber optic here in Spain with 10 Mbps upload and at home in USA it's 30 Mbps download with 5 Mbps upload).

Also, if I can't on my old MacBook Pro, my fiancé has a pre April 2010 black keyboard MacBook Pro. Would hers be able to hook it up?

And finally, do you think I should just repair the computer? Is apple planning a new computer in the future that maybe I should hold off and wait for? Any rumors going around, since this is the macrumors forum, lol.

Thanks again, very much appreciated. I'm still so sad over my poor computer. :-(...

5. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

6. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

turned out to be the logic board... 469 euros later (614 dollars) repaired at the apple store...