Need faster AirTunes Express!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by UltraNEO*, Dec 14, 2007.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hey.. I'm curious,

How is everyone connect? Direct to hub/switch or router?
    or via one of those Apple Airport Express or Extreme?

Well, i've just moved to a new apartment and the internet is amazing!
    Beats any dial-up any freaking day, it'll defo give all you folks with DSL a run for ya money too! Though I seems to have a little problem, my AirPort Express can't keep up with my connection, :D lol Here's some of my speedtests...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm on VDSL2, it's a little slow!!

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

LOL, unless your broadband speeds are more than 20 Mbps (if you're using 802.11g) or 50 Mbps (if using 802.11n), the AirPort Extreme is plenty faster than your broadband. You're doing something wrong.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Japan. Who the hell knows how fast the internet is over there.

An AirPort Express is slower than the AirPort Extreme (the new model that is). 802.11n is as fast as you can get wirelessly. If that's not enough for you, you'll have to wire it.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I use a 802.11g wireless router to DSL and my Airport Express is connected as a wireless client only for AirTunes (love it!). For me, the bottleneck is almost always the servers that I'm connecting to and not my end so I'm perfectly happy with the cheap connection I have. :D

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well, it's supposed to be VDSL2, connected to a local fibre hub (what ever that is)...

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

From his screenshot it looks like he's getting just over 27Mbps. That's pretty fast and just a bit higher than the ceiling of 802.11g. Would he really feel the difference, though, of those few extra Mbps? Looks like his old connection was around 5Mbps, so I'm guessing going from 5 to 20 you aren't going to be missing that extra bandwidth. It's just going to feel 4 times as fast.

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well, i don't know the actual speed but i can download "MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.11Intel.dmg" (about 297Mb) in under 5mins.. kind great for fresh installations!! Fact tho, it actually takes longer to installer, than it does to download.. and the 27Mbps is barely half, unfortunately, i can't find a faster test server!!
    It does go higher, see:

[​IMG]

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

That's not that impressive, 297Mb is only around 37MB. Unless of course you mean 297MB in under 5 minutes, that is pretty good.

Sorry, I'm just a pedantic git when it comes to Mb and MB :D

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well mister pedantic, thanks for your comment. If you like to talk numbers, then I'm referring to 311,636,787 bytes of data in less than 300 seconds, that's about 1,038,789.3 bytes per second, still with me?

9. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Yup, just wish we could get those sort of speeds in the UK.