need feed back on my site please

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by senseimicky, Dec 9, 2009.

1. senseimicky macrumors newbie

i built this site from scratch and would like a bit of honest feed back please www.samacentral.com

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Do not take offense, you asked for an opinion, and we're always honest here and never personal.

Your site reminds me of the early 1990's in style and layout.

It is horribly outdated, obnoxious color scheme, oppressive, completely unfriendly and reminds me of hacker or pirate software sites, or even sites devoted to radical or fringe hate mongering groups. The animated "More info" graphic is an eyesore, looks like you uploaded an image to a site that adds the alien glow effect for you, i.e. cheap and lazy and also isn't even a link, it's not intuitive. The fonts aren't consistent, the menu font color does not have enough contrast with the background. Bad choice of hover color for links, too close to the link color, the RSS subscribe link is lost in the confusion and madness of it all. The footer should echo the header menu system with small text links, no search engine, the photo is low quality and the important graphic on the bottom right most folks will never see as they literally RUN from your site.

There is one good thing - your site validated to W3C standards for the XHTML and CSS. Beyond that, please remove the "Made on a Mac" notice at the bottom, as a fellow Mac user I don't want people to think these are the kinds of sites created on the Mac platform. I am embarrassed by it. I know this seems personal, but it isn't. I hope you find the humor, honest to God I do.

Um, nothing else to add at this time. My advice to you? Keep working at it.

-jim

3. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Mine is also very 90's; maybe we can pass it as 'retro' lol :p. I suppose it's if you can afford to have a great website designed by a pro.
    Or like myself a little short on money and trying to just get your information out there and an impression of your organisation.
    It's a good achievement for a first attempt, hopefully you'll stick with it to become a pro like others on here with more graphics etc. Remember that a lot of those on here are pro's :D.
    I didn't check the code or anything but everything displayed correctly in my firefox browser so thats great for sure ;).

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Obviously iWeb. To me made form scratch means you coded the html / PHP yourself or at least made your own template for a CMS. Although everyone has to start somewhere. (I started with iweb then moved up slowly. Currently working on my own wordpress theme)

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

Exactly what he said. I was going to respond to this thread a while ago but I didn't want to type out all the things wrong with it... but thanks to ^^ I don't have to.

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

X2

I agree with what was said here.

8. senseimicky thread starter macrumors newbie

ta for that i have changed it around a bit i know i said be honest but remove the made by mac was a bit harsh haha and im not a computer wizard im a karate man :D

9. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

1000x better.

10. senseimicky thread starter macrumors newbie