Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottProck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Nampa, ID
I know which one is the better card, that's not my dilemma. I'm trying to factor the benefits vs rewards and the cost is a huge factor. I'm looking for some one else's perspective :)

I have a failed ATI 2600 in my 2008 MacPro but I have an Nvidia GTX650ti as my primary card. The 2600 is only needed for the boot screen, which I desperately need now that I have bricked my poor Mac by erasing the hard drive.

I have to use Amazon (store credit) so my options are the ATI 4870 (used) or a new 5770, about a $150 difference in cards. The part that I hate if I go the route of the 5770 is I will have paid $100 more than I paid for the the GTX card.

The one thing I don't like about the 4870 is I won't be able to use that card at the same time as the GTX because it will need both power hook ups.

A concern I have with running the 5770 with the GTX, will the Mac be able to run them both (referring to power) or will I need to remove the 5770 after I'm done using the boot screen, if this is the case, I might as well go with the 4870.

I guess I'm just looking for a way to justify in my head paying the higher price for the new card, it seems to be overkill for what I need.

On another thread it has been suggested to purchase a cheaper PC Card and flash it for EFI use, which is something I'm considering, the hesitation is in time. Going this route means my power machine, the one I need to make money is down longer.

Thoughts??

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Another option to look at, if you are just looking for a boot screen is a GT120. There are a few used ones on Amazon for $99.

As far as the 4870 vs 5770, I've had both, the 4870 was modestly faster, but the 5770 was much quieter. The draw on that card is plenty low, especially at idle, shouldn't have any problem leaving it in there. That said, the GT120 uses MUCH less juice than the 5770, and requires no power cables at all....

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
I would go down the GT120 route too as the card will be only used as a screen server.
Once you have your MP back to normal you could put the money saved towards an even better Nvidia card to replace the GTX650ti. A 2 cable GTX770 for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.