Need File Renaming App Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tknull, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Tknull macrumors regular

The app store has a myriad of apps for renaming files. I'm interested in one that costs between $.99 and $7.99.
    However, reading the descriptions and reviews of most does not answer an important question for me... the ability to sort files in the rename pane by various parameters (by name, but creation date, etc).
    I currently use Quick File Renamer, and it has no such ability. When you import a list of files, it puts them in random order (or some order that i am unable to ascertain). So it makes me have to drag and drop them into the order that I wish.
    I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can suggest one of the apps that does allow you to select a sort order option.
    Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger. You can test them to see if they do what you need.

3. ozaz, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

ozaz macrumors 65816

I use Name Mangler too and am very happy with it, although its slightly above your desired price range it is able to sort by various parameters.

4. Tknull thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like this is the app to go for... and I can live with the price. Thanks for the recommendations...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used name mangler and its a good app. If you have photoshop, then you can use bridge to do this as well. that's what I use for my batch renames at this point

6. Tknull thread starter macrumors regular

so i purchased Name Mangler, and have been using it for a few days now. i'm very glad i went with it. it is perfect for my needs. a couple of the things i love about it:

1) yes, you can sort the files by a variety of parameters (name, creation date, modification date, etc).

2) shows small preview icon next to each file name, making it easier to rearrange the file order prior to renaming (other programs i've used you have to look at the files in browser or preview, and write down or remember what to change). you can also click on the thumbnail preview to bring up a larger preview.

3) you can click on the file data listed with each file name to toggle though its info (name, creation date, file size, etc).

4) you can set the preferences to auto import whichever files you have currently selected in the finder... very handy. you can also set preference to auto quit program after rename. So i just select files in finder, and click on program icon i added to toolbar.. .and its all already in the app once it opens. very cool.

thanks for the recommendations, very happy