Need Film Project Ideas

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Abraxsis, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I recently sold a large collection of 35mm, some pretty cool stuff such as Ektachrome 64 pro rolls from the early 80's that had been freezer kept for 25+ years. I have a few rolls of 35mm film left and I am looking for a project to use it. Below is a list of the film I have remaining, might help you decide. The one idea I am considering is doing an all night shoot around Nashville when I visit next month. All shot on film, long exposures, blur effects, etc. All rolls are pro rolls with 36 exposures.

Elite Chrome 100
    TMAX 100 x 2
    Ilford XP2 Super 400
    TMAX p3200
    Ektachrome 64
    Ektachrome 200

Would love to hear any alternative idea's everyone might have.

2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Choosing a project to shoot with film is no different than choosing a project to shoot with digital. But there are some additional things to take into account with film:
    • You need to know what kind of light you'll have ahead of time so you can choose your film speed accordingly.
    • If you want to do long exposure photos look up the film's reciprocity so you'll know if you need to multiply the exposure time.
    • Film is a lot of fun but does require more patients so plan on it taking a bit longer.

3. Policar macrumors 6502a

Yes, unlike digital (which has its own long exposure issues), film suffers from reciprocity error. Past a few seconds, exposures need to be extended--sometimes by less than 50%, sometimes by ten times, depending on the film and how much light you have. There are reciprocity error tables available online; carry one with you for each film you plan to use for long exposures. Reciprocity error can also introduce color shifts. So long as your meter accurately and consistently and aren't looking for perfect color accuracy this usually isn't a big deal.

That said, you're using old film and the side effect of film aging is it gets slower and can start to shift in color. So a night project is kind of asking for trouble. A bit.

It will probably turn out fine if you're careful and the color shifts could look very cool even, but try a few rolls before you commit to the technique for everything--and DEFINITELY be aware of reciprocity when you meter.

4. Abraxsis thread starter macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

Thanks for the advice but I was asking for ideas for projects that I could use the film on.

I started out in film so I am aware of reciprocity and the other nuisances of film usage.

Does anyone have any ideas about alternate project ideas?

5. bobt macrumors regular

I'm also looking for an idea or two with shooting my last few rolls of Kodachrome. Needs to be processed by end of the year so time is running out. I moved on from Kodachrome years ago to mostly Velvia with film and of course digital.

Just looking to come up with a few creative thoughts on what I want to do for the end of the Kodachrome era.

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well I am no pro but I use my dad's old hasselblad and konica 35mm camera and the "effect" I get from film is great.

To really make use of this I take pictures of my friends and family as the image is a much nicer shot than I could get with a traditional P&S.

Therefore I would recommend taking pictures of people (friends, family, street walkers!) I think it provides a much nicer memento of the time spent.

For example over the summer some of my friends took in excess of 500 pictures signifying there time whereas I took 36 (1 roll of 35mm!) Since I limited the shots I took I made sure that I took extra care with each shot and I believe that the memories I have far stronger than the people that just take hundreds of pictures just because they can.

If you have any examples of your work I would be interested in seeing them!

7. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

If time allows you could take a trip up here to Alaska, go up above the Arctic Circle on summer solstice and take multiple exposures of the sun never really going down.....:D

I've always wanted to do that and I live here!