Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
This is what I'm looking at for my network at home. I have 1 pc hardwired and 3 mac on wireless that would access this drive. Do you think this would work to store pictures and stuff from all my machines.Here is the link to the drive I'm looking at

Thanks

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
It doesn't say it will work with a Mac OS in the tech info.

If you already have a drive laying around I recommend this thing. It can be found at brick and mortar radioshack stores on clearance for $40. It has worked great for me.

http://www.ximeta.com/web/products/ndenclosure1_en.php

RadioShack link
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2407183&cp

Yeah, I saw that it only works on windows but I'm looking to see if anyone used it on a mac before. Which i don't see why it would work as it has an ip address.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Yeah, I saw that it only works on windows but I'm looking to see if anyone used it on a mac before. Which i don't see why it would work as it has an ip address.

The Mac should be able to see it but, as it is probably formatted NTFS, the Mac will not be able to write to it. As you want a mixed PC/Mac network, that leaves formatting it FAT32 (which will limit you to 32GB's) or making two partitions. I do not know if both partitions will be accessable from this device.

There are guides here on how to set up a mixed network. Good luck.

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
As you want a mixed PC/Mac network, that leaves formatting it FAT32 (which will limit you to 32GB's) or making two partitions.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying fat32 only supports drives up to 32GB cause I have a 200GB drive I'm using right now that's fat32 with one partition so that would be wrong.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Ok, So it looks like it will work. I have another question how do I map the drive using ip address on the mac

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Ok, So it looks like it will work. I have another question how do I map the drive using ip address on the mac

I don't know but dude seriously consider the thing I mentioned to you. You'll get more for your $ and it has software that hooks it all up for you. Super easy!

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I don't know but dude seriously consider the thing I mentioned to you. You'll get more for your $ and it has software that hooks it all up for you. Super easy!

Man do you work for Radio Shack or what :D . I do like it but I don't like the style of it. As for the funds I'm just really looking around to see what is out there

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Man do you work for Radio Shack or what :D . I do like it but I don't like the style of it. As for the funds I'm just really looking around to see what is out there

HAHA no I don't. I guess I was just very impressed by it. Especially at the price. If you don't like the looks of it, well that can't be changed. But man think of the deal! Less money AND 2x the HD space! AWESUM! :)

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I have pretty much the same network setup as you do and I use this thing:
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?SCID=&CIID=66719

It works well enough, but it's much slower than USB 2.0 so copying lots of files is a pain. The bonus is if you are going to copy lots of gigs, take it off the network and plug it in via USB 2.0.

As for speeds, I found I could not play a Divx file over the network with out it skipping, but iTunes and iPhoto sharing work great.

I'll probably sell this one and get the new Airport Extreme from Apple when it comes out in Feb. You can plug any USB hard drive or printer into it and have it shared throughout the network.

mst0192

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
Dont buy..

as someone mentioned earlier, it has some kind of windows-filesystem (dont remember which, but i think fat32).

on a mac, you have to mount it as a network drive BUT you always get problems with the filesystem. (see differences between the 2 filesystems, especially on "resource forks") also, some characters, which are allowed for hfs-files arent allowed to be used on fat32 (its frustrating trying to coying gigs of data and not exactly knowing at which file the process stops whithout any warning because of this "file-incompability)

last but not least cheap lan drives are slow as hell (you will be impressed!)

so for our office (heavy-mac-usage), it was a total waste of money.
be warned!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.