Need for Speed? Do we always need it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blink56k, Aug 7, 2007.

1. blink56k macrumors member

blink56k

I'm not too familiar though have heard of Moore's Law and whatnot (maybe it's irrelevant here) but it seems the faster computers get, the slower they get. Or in other words, the speed is always chasing the power demand of applications on its coattails, making it just so that it's productive enough but not yet insanely fast, unless you mac out a mac pro or something.

I'm primarily a Linux user at college, though I do use my family's Mac when I'm home so I guess I've adopted the mentality of getting as much functionality or use from hardware as possible. I think projects like the OLPC are great and ama all for less resource hungry but functional computing.

As all these new Macs come out and whatnot and (some) people are like zomg let me ebay my recently bought Mac because the new one is so hawt...and I sometimes wonder to myself why? In cases where work demands it I understand, but a speed bump or whatnot or just because it seems sleek doesn't seem worth it to me. Or buying 4 gigs of RAM just for web browsing, e-mail, etc. (again for work purposes, Photoshop, games, this is justified).

I'm typing on a G4 Mac mini right now and think it's a rock solid little thing and by no means look down on it as "obsolete" (I love it!). I'm sure many of you even have old color iMacs around chugging. As I get older (i'm 20 lol) I'm starting to see more value in this kind of pragmatic computing (truth be told, no one is going to say no to a quad core mac pro haha) .

I don't know. What do you think? Should computers start looking away from the route of bigger fast faster want it yesterday and look toward functionality and resource balancing?

I see internet appliances like the iPhone and Nokia N800 as well as OLPC and Asus EEE PC making good strides in this, you can have a decent "computer" or computer functions/apps without insane demand for resources, etc. Not for everyone, but a worthy venture.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It's called consumerism. It is a result of advertising, showcasing, and the so-called "new product fever" where people want something just because it is new, instead of any functional and justifiable reasons. It is what fuels America as we know it...

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

It's a good question I myself have pondered.

I have a 1.5ghz PowerBook G4 and I am quite content with it, and at this point I don't see why I would ever need a faster computer.

But I suppose thats what you could have said 15 years ago with a 133mhz computer capable of typing and playing stupid games.

Did we think 15 years ago everyday consumers could do the following
    - Store music on our computers
    - Store digital photos on our computers
    - Make Music with virtual instruments
    - Edit Movies
    - Edit Pictures
    - etc

"Consumer" Computers 15 years ago wouldn't have been very capable at doing any of those things.

I suppose we don't exactly know what we will be able to do in the future with our computers, but it will probably require a lot more power.

I remember not too long ago a 80gb hard drive was HUGE. Hah, those days have changed.