Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Hey Guys

When i get my playstation 4 this fall i will be buying one game Need For Speed Rivals as there is slew of WII U titles i want to get. My question is I heard you have to a monthly or is it yearly subscription fee with Plus to play online content. Should i choose not to pay this fee can i play against the AI in the game or is it solely against online opponents.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
1) the game is only in development so we don't know.

2) yes you should definetly spend $50 on PS+

For that you get the DriveClub game on your PS4 and undoubtably a slew of other freebies over the course of the 12 months. The fact its the price of 1 game and they give you a game (a racing one at that) means you are almost nullifying the pain of paying $50 for multiplayer.

PS+ is possibly the best value sub service and the slew of titles it gives you including psn arcade titles over the course of the year more than make up for its asking price.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
But you basically rent those games, right? When you let your subscription expire, don't you lose all the free games you got?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Something I heard in the keynote was a gaming service starting in 2014 for Vita and PS4 - it sounded like a Netflix for gaming - I might have misunderstood the presentation, but that sounded what this service was going to be - anyone else know about this?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
But you basically rent those games, right? When you let your subscription expire, don't you lose all the free games you got?

Yes but after a year of playing the game you probably won't care as you'll have stopped playing it by then. But to be honest its more likely you'll just keep your sub.

Discounted stuff where you still pay something remains yours even after your sub ends.

Something I heard in the keynote was a gaming service starting in 2014 for Vita and PS4 - it sounded like a Netflix for gaming - I might have misunderstood the presentation, but that sounded what this service was going to be - anyone else know about this?

That's Gaikai. You will likely need a PS+ sub to avail of it. Its basically OnLive service which allows users to play PS3 /PS2 games on their PS4 via streaming over the Internet. You will need a fast reliable connection in order to avail, and likely for 2014 live in the US as it won't be available outside US at first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.