Need for Speed Undercover for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ccolaco, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ccolaco macrumors 6502

Anyone know when if ever Need for Speed Undercover will be available for Mac? Im dying to try it out on the new aluminum MacBooks!

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Haven't heard of a release for the Mac.

Of course you can run it Boot Camped... I'll be doing that! ;)

3. padré macrumors regular

4. seantronik macrumors newbie

Need for Speed Undercover for Mac?

I have only tried under boot camp with Windows Vista and performance at max resolution 1440x900 is disappointing. I had to set at 1024x768 and then it was decent. This is with MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz 2gb ram 120gb hard drive 128mb Geforce 8800M GT santa rosa. I think if mac version comes out it will stink at max res for this system as well due to only 128mb of graphics memory.

5. sauri macrumors newbie

It runs perfectly under bootcamp at 1920x1200/all max (macpro, xp sp3), though I hate to reboot every time I want to ride a bit :p

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

EA said they were going to release the Mac version at the same time from now on.

7. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

They lied

8. Marol macrumors newbie

Are you really sure? I run it @ 1440x900 on a Unibody MacBook Pro with the 256mb 9600M GT and everything set to max. I have hard to believe you have to low it that much.

And btw I that the is awful, stick to Most Wanted or Pro Street, they are much better, and look just as good

9. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

Will most wanted run in widescreen through bootcamp?

10. Marol macrumors newbie

i don't see why it should'nt

11. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea I would run it in Boot Camp or Cider port it if you want to run it natively.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Looking at the recommended specs, playing it "Cidered" will give you a nice slideshow, instead of smooth playing ;)

13. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

:) Very true lol.

14. Mircera macrumors newbie

Im kinda new to mac so i was hoping i could get some assistance from you guys.

Im currently running win XP SP3 through bootcamp/paralells, but when i try and launch NFS: Undercover it shows a prompt and then just shuts the prompt down. Anyone have any idea about this? Is it better to reboot to XP completely? And how about drivers?

Thanks

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Trouble with Parallels (and VMware) is that the grfx card is emulated (i.e. not the real grfx card of your Mac is used), but has DirectX 9 shader "support"... Only support, but in no way near the performance of using the grfx card directly.
    NFS Undercover needs so much grfx horsepower, that you must reboot into Windows natively = Boot Camp.
    Via Boot Camp, Windows uses your grfx card hardware for real. The drivers for your card are included with the Apple Boot Camp driver package (on the Leopard Retail DVD, and / or your 10.5.x Macintosh Restore DVD 1), but if you want the most up-to-date driver for Windows of your grfx card, then simply get it from the web.

16. Mircera macrumors newbie

Thanks MacsRgR

Problem is that my install DVD is located at my old folks house, and their not home for the weekend, is there any way you can download the drivers from the web?

17. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Have been playing this like crazy today and can't get enough. On my 2.4 unibody Macbook Pro I average around 45fps (checked using fraps) with a minimum of 30fps when the screen is full of cars.

That's at 1440x900 native res with Car details set to high, world details low, world environment effects set to all and shadows off. Enabling shadows drops the frame rate down to the 20's for some reason.

There are complaints all over the web about the bad frame rate and huge system requirements. It's telling that I have a friend with a Quad Core Ninja PC running a 4870x2 and that can only get between 20-30 with everything on full at 1920x1200.

With the exception of the shadows which seem to be borked anyhow (float oddly behind rival cars at times) It looks the same running on my Macbook pro as it does my friends pc with everything on full. 6x anti-aliasing. The important effect to leave on is the world environment effects. That's the one that gives you all the trademark bloom and speed lines that make it need for speed.

18. bionur macrumors newbie

help me

Hi i have read all you guys wrote you know i have installed this windows xp sp2 through boot camp on my macbook pro 3.1 and i installed this undercover but when i get in it says "Unable to save profile" it means i can not create a profile and go on it sucks can not play has anyone any idea please give an idea if someone has already experienced that
    thanks

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Haven't had that trouble.
    I have it running on my Mac Pro '08 with Windows XP Pro SP3. No issues, works perfectly.

So, maybe the XP SP 3 update can help you out?

BTW, Mircera, have you got your drivers? (I'm a bit late...)

20. singhy44 macrumors member

Any chance of this being ported using Cider? Actually I might do if I find out how, anyone know? How hard can it be?...

21. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well NFS:MW worked fine under Cider, so you might as well try this one. First you will need the latest version of Cider, which you hafta torrent I think.

22. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

NFS prostreet doesn't really work with cider, it runs but has lots of problems

23. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Is there any progress on this? I'm really waiting for the Mac version, or at least a Cider-ized version. I'm not about to install Windows on any of my Macs, and I really want to play this game.

24. singhy44 macrumors member

Actually, I find ProStreet runs fairly well, I get a near-constant 50fps with it never dipping below 40fps. If you are having issues, make sure you get the Semi-Fix, it's somewhere with the original download.

25. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Sigh.... no one has managed to port it over yet? I have a legal copy, installed on Boot Camp with no problems, but it's becoming a bit redundant, seeing as how I only run boot camp for this alone... I'd like the convenience of playing it through Cider on Mac OS:(