need ftp help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by furcalchick, May 2, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

this is my first time working with a ftp thingy, so i need some help with it to get my site online. i went with awardspace.com and got my own domain name. i need help getting my site online and getting an email account for the site set up. thanks.

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

You'll need the server, username and password for the FTP connection.

Then you'll need an application like Transmit (other alternatives are available, I just picked my favourite) to upload the files to said server.

Edit: You have a domain name, do you have a host i.e. someone who is prepared to host your files? Are awardspace doing that for you?

3. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I make most my websites in Dreamweaver, and it has a build FTP feature for uploading your sites. Most Web Page programs have this feature. Though I actually prefer Transmit to do it.

-T

4. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

My weapon of choice is Cyberduck... it's free and is simple to use

http://cyberduck.ch/

Supports OS X technologies suck as Bonjour, Spotlight, Keychain and of couse Applescript.

Hope this helps...

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

sorry it took so long to get back, but when i go to my site, it says currently:
    when i try cyberduck to start the ftp, it always has a disconnection and i can't seem to upload my files, no matter what i do. can someone with an awardspace account help me please?

and my domain name is online, sorta: http://www.atlbraveslinks.com/ right now it just shows the error, but i'm trying to correct that. it's an iweb site btw.

i got connected and got my site loaded, but i'm getting a 500 error now...can't figure that one out.