NEED FULL PARTITION ON MAC. no need for windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mootech, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mootech macrumors newbie

Hello, I am trying to delete windows partition and have tried everything. I am running Mac OS X 10.4.10, 2.2GHz, 2 GB ram. I originally was using boot camp and then located parallels. while setting up parallels I must of deleted boot camp asst. At any rate, I was hoping on just reformatting with the install DVD that came with my mac book. Thinking things were great with a fresh start and a fresh mac, they were not because the windows partition was still there. So after further review, loaded the install DVD back in and went to Disk utilities and tried to erase from there and it wont let me do any thing.

LETS REVIEW;
    1) loaded boot camp
    2) erased boot camp and installed parallels
    3) Well, I wanted my Mac back in factory form, so reformatted
    4) windows partition still there
    5) disk utilities wont let my do anything

MY NEEDS AND WANTS;
    1) I want my Mac to have its full hardrive 120GBs

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Disk Utilities from the OS disk won't let you partition the drive to one partition? Got to do that first. Make sure you use GUID Partition Scheme for an Intel Mac.

3. mootech thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorta ignorant.... do what? How do I get there?

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

1. Boot your Mac from Tiger Install Disk 1,
    2. Open File > Disk Utility,
    Select the FIRST of the two names of your (internal) hard drive. To the right of the volume pane, you should see the Partition tab,
    3. Click Partition,
    In the next pane that opens, follow instructions given therein. Partition Scheme is at the top of the small grey window,
    4. Choose 1 Partition,
    5. Click the Partition button (lower-right).

Once finished, Quit Disk Utility, reboot your Mac from Install Disk 1, and do a full Clean Install to your Mac HD from it.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Put the install DVD into the drive, restart the Mac holding down the C key so it boots from the install DVD. When it's started up, go to Utilities Menu>Disk Utility.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh14.html

See under the Options button? That's where you choose the partition scheme.

[​IMG]

6. mootech thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the screen shot! unfortunately mine does not look like that. mine says; first aid, erase,raid, restore, new image and unmount ....no partition button. How frustrating!! Were are gona do this we are a team thanks!

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

IIRC, the problem may be that the BC partition wasn't properly removed via the BC Assistant's "Restore to a Single Partition"; since the OP had Tiger, they may be stuck unless they can get a copy of the BC Assistant Beta and roll back the system clock to pre-October 2007, or, just get Leopard.

I was going to post a screen shot, but I seem to have deleted the release version and left the beta version. D'oh! Time Machine to the rescue, I guess...

8. mootech thread starter macrumors newbie

This is pretty cool, why someone would pay for this when they can do it them selves. Thank you all for your time, in fact I have learned alot!! take care

9. mootech thread starter macrumors newbie

Come to find out, The main problem now, is that I deleted boot camp asst. (applications/utility's). I have no idea what to do now. How would one start over from square one and do it all over, to try to re obtain the asst. Would they somehow...no idea. This has been an extremely interesting evening. In positive thought I do now know how to navigate through the Mac. lol

10. mootech thread starter macrumors newbie

I did it, Finally..woot woot! After getting a full nights rest, the instructions were on point. Thanks for your help!