Need go Anti-Virus/Malware software for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mm1250, Jan 24, 2010.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have had a MBP fro myself for about a year 1/2. However I am now using it for business purposes and due to this I will be using it to do remote access to many client networks and have important documents on this Mac. With this in mind, I need extra security and am trying to find the best AV/spyware/malware software for my Mac.

What software is the best. I know that Macs barely have ANY viruses that are in the wild but I cannot risk client security.

Thanks,

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You would probably want to use ClamXav to keep from transmitting Windows viruses to your clients

You can also use iAntivirus or Sophos

Stay away from anything Norton

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X has not barely any viruses, it has NO (zero, nada, keine, ..) viruses.

There is only malware like trojans, which YOU have to install manually yourself by entering the password to your account yourself to give those files access to system files. Unless you install anything you come by and don't give a damn about the source, then have a look at MRoogle to give you more than plenty of threads about the virus angst.

[​IMG]
    Ditto to what already has been said.​

5. mm1250 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick replies!

yes I am mostly worried about keyloggers and malware that allows hacker remote access to the machine to steal data.

I am download Calmx now.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're that paranoid you could buy Little Snitch to monitor what connections your machine is making / the world is making to your machine as well.

7. valiar macrumors regular

I would like to second the "strong password" advice. You should also make sure you run the Software Update app regularly.

There are no "drive-by" or remote execution exploit attacks against OS X in the wild. If one appears, it will be patched by Apple in the short order.

No AV/antimalware software can protect you against an unknown threat - thus, it is really not required.