need good portable mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gyus, Mar 6, 2011.

1. gyus macrumors member

I'm looking for some suggestions for a portable mouse. I'm not interested in the current apple offerings, so it makes the decision a bit more difficult. I have a MBA so I thought I would go with a BT based mouse but what I see an abundance of are mice based on 2.4 GHz - which is better (ie less lag and less sleep waking lag!).

any suggestions?

2. chrisvee macrumors regular

It's really up to you and your preference (and how much you're willing to spend). I'm currently using a Logitech Wireless Mouse M305, and it's serving me well for now. I basically just got it because it was cheap, and the USB receiver is tiny. You could even put the receiver INSIDE the mouse for storage, which I thought was pretty cool! I do however run into lag problems when I do something CPU demanding like gaming or stuff like that. I wonder if switching to a bluetooth mouse would remedy this.. Hmm.

You'll probably get a lot of suggestions for the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX as well. I totally would've went with this one, but I was broke when I was buying my mouse.

In terms of bluetooth, the Razer Orochi seems to get a lot of buzz. A lot of mixed reviews, but still a viable bluetooth option. It's actually a hybrid mouse; it's a bluetooth mouse, but can be attached to your Mac via USB cable if you'd like. I was also gonna get this one, but again, I was broke..

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've only ever used one non-Apple BT mouse. It was a Kensington, and it was perhaps the worst mouse I've ever used. Lag was atrocious. It wasn't particularly comfortable. It chewed through batteries like they were Chicklets.

I second the Logitech line of mice - the tiny USB receivers are great, you don't need to unplug them from the computer.

I've used a Mighty Mouse and a Magic Mouse, I didn't experience lag with either of them but neither are my favorite, either.

4. chrisvee macrumors regular

Yup! I sometimes even leave the receiver in my Mac when I put it into my Incase sleeve. :eek:

5. gyus thread starter macrumors member

Any thoughts on the MS bluetooth 5000 ? Seems to get favorable reviews..

6. chrisvee macrumors regular

Hmm, I wonder why I didn't look more into that mouse when I was looking for one.. It seems relatively cheap compared to other Bluetooth mice, and it seems to get fair reviews. I'd say give it a shot! Let me know if it's any good too, even with my income it seems justifiable! :D

EDIT: After a little bit more reading, I hear that it goes through batteries like no tomorrow.. Other than that, it has pretty good reviews!

7. gaolin100 macrumors newbie

Let me know if it's any good too, even with my income it seems justifiable!

8. gyus thread starter macrumors member

I bought it and have been using it for the past couple of days.

Pros:
    It connects quickly the mouse movements are smooth. Even from waking the MBA. I am using MS intellipoint driver version 8.1. OS X ver 10.6.5.

battery life (2XAAA) seems pretty good

Cons:
    The scroll wheel is so stiff and notchy that when you start to scroll, the amount of force needed to turn the wheel activates the scroll wheel click function. I started another thread looking in to orochi razor. Hopefully that will be smoother...

If it wasn't for the scroll wheel the MS BT 5000 mouse would be damn near perfect for me....

9. xdbuix macrumors 6502

theres always mouse deals around, just gotta wait for em. I got the Logitech anywhere mx mouse, which works on any surface include mouse for $20.